SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-02-19, 10:41 PM   #11
Grant66

Default Re: Help Please. What is this problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Sitting in traffic for a long time to get to the garage would be worse for overheating than going further at more wind cooling speeds.
Yup. My example was on clear A roads. Low revs high speed so a good degree of wind cooling.

Tap water is fine too use for diagnosis, like it has been said it won't be in long enough to cause an issue.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Grant66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-19, 07:38 AM   #12
Othen

Just fill it up with clean tap water for now - for the short time it will be in the engine it will not do any harm. Start the engine and I'm pretty sure you will see where it is coming out and be able to diagnose the problem yourself. The chances are it will either be a holed radiator (in which case it is best to get a replacement rather than a repair - I bought a good used one from eBay for £40 and it is just fine) or one of the hoses that leads to or from it.

The water is coming out so quickly I think you will see it straight away and be able to work out what is wrong. If you are very fortunate it might be a loose hose connector (just tighten it up) - if it is a burst hose or holed radiator there is not much point taking it to a garage - just get the replacement and fit it yourself (hoses are trivially easy - just two clips, the radiator is held on with two bolts, but you then have to swap over the thermo switch, fan and horn - just a few bolts).

Once you have fixed the leak drain the water out and fill it up with cheap car antifreeze mixed 50:50 with distilled water (you can buy both from a hardware shop, car spares shop or garage). It takes just under 2litres of the mixture.

Good fortune,

Alan
Old 28-02-19, 07:44 AM   #13
Craig380
Mega Poster

The antifreeze must be silicate-free, that's the only thing to watch for. Halfords sells ready-mixed coolant in 2 litre bottles for a tenner which saves you having to mix. The Halfords 5-year red silicate-free coolant is perfect for the job.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-19, 10:32 AM   #14
zombie

Update.

It is a broken radiator. I came off at slow speed on the ice a couple of weeks ago and it has dented the radiator and pushed it into the fan. I didn't realise the damage and no symptoms until now (despite daily use). So a new radiator. There are plenty cheap on ebay for the older models (I used to have the K5), but none at all for the AL7. So it is an expensive new one from Europe. Damn. Sometimes it is better to stick with the tried and tested bikes!
zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-19, 10:38 AM   #15
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie View Post
Update.

It is a broken radiator. I came off at slow speed on the ice a couple of weeks ago and it has dented the radiator and pushed it into the fan. I didn't realise the damage and no symptoms until now (despite daily use). So a new radiator. There are plenty cheap on ebay for the older models (I used to have the K5), but none at all for the AL7. So it is an expensive new one from Europe. Damn. Sometimes it is better to stick with the tried and tested bikes!

I’m sorry to hear about the expensive fix Zombie, I wonder whether it is worth calling round a few bike breakers to see if anyone has a crashed bike?
Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 28-02-19, 10:42 AM   #16
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie View Post
Update.

Have you tried putting a call out to Motorcycle breakers?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?neww...iz.51DoZeU37Q0

Or is this any use,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUZUKI-SV...frcectupt=true

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 28-02-19 at 10:45 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-19, 11:51 AM   #17
Seeker
Mega Poster

Fowlers are asking £400 for the AL7 radiator. Have you thought about radiator repair services?

http://www.westmerciaradiators.co.uk...r_repairs.html
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-19, 12:37 PM   #18
Bibio
Mega Poster

get it quick.. on promotion at robinsons part number 17710-18K00 £246.83 (2017 sv650)

https://www.robinsonsfoundry.co.uk/p...arch:razz:arts
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-19, 12:59 PM   #19
Talking Heads

It would be interesting to know if brackets and such could be adjusted to make an SV1000 radiator fit....?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Suzuk...-/142473830873
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-19, 02:30 PM   #20
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
get it quick.. on promotion at robinsons part number 17710-18K00 £246.83 (2017 sv650)

https://www.robinsonsfoundry.co.uk/p...arch:razz:arts

If this is the right part it would be the best solution for a 3 year old bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk