SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-06-19, 06:59 PM   #11
andy650

Default Re: Anyone tried EBC "V" Semi-Sintered Pads

The front wont be a problem with sintered, it wont make them feel grabby at all. But, the power will be there, without having to heave on the lever, makes for easier riding.

The rear in contrast, rarely needs, or can use, powerful brakes., so organic suits it better, less likely to lock up by mistake as you have to press pedal that bit harder, which gives you more feel.

It is all personal choice though, all types will perform their function perfectly well.

My personal choice is from years of experience, you are welcome, in fact encouraged, to experiment for yourself
andy650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-19, 07:06 PM   #12
andy650

SBS used to make a low friction version of their pads, specifically for use in the rear, for the reasons stated already. You would never use the low friction version in the front.

The one exception I have made to my organic in rear choice, is on my Busa. It is such a heavy bike I find semi organic suits it better.
andy650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-19, 08:15 PM   #13
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
Thanks. How do you find them in winter? I was just going by various comments suggesting that they don't work well in low temperatures, and/or are less predictable until warmed up or in the wet. Hence wondering if semi-sintered might be a compromise.
As others have commented, they offer a better bite and feedback. The road versions work well at any temperature and are no different to other pads.

For the rear it's personal preference as to organic or sintered. On a bike with a light rear end/forward rake you'd want more feel/less bite so organic is probably better.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-19, 02:59 PM   #14
aesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy650 View Post
My personal choice is from years of experience, you are welcome, in fact encouraged, to experiment for yourself
Cheers. I just totted up that I've done just over 66,000 miles on the two SVs. But in that time I can only compare the EBC organics that I fitted with the unknown pads fitted by previous owners or by Suzuki. So at this stage all I can say is that they're far preferable. However I don't know what those were. I guess the current bike which only had 4,000 miles probably had Suzuki originals. The other bike I got with 16,000 miles had several owners and a few mods so goodness knows.

I know exactly what you mean about the rear brake, when I first rode the SV I locked the rear a couple of times. It needs a much lighter touch than the CBR.

Since nobody's tried the semi-sintered I could give them a go and see. Or try fully sintered road pads. If I did that just now before the current pads are worn right out I can quickly swap back if I hate them.
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-19, 04:30 PM   #15
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Does your present SV have ABS ? If it does you don't have to worry so much about locking either front or rear up.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-19, 08:21 AM   #16
aesmith

No ABS, but out of interest how much do you find it helps, I mean cutting in when otherwise you'd have slid? My last few slithers on icy roads were the rear spinning rather than on the brakes.
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-19, 09:58 AM   #17
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
No ABS, but out of interest how much do you find it helps, I mean cutting in when otherwise you'd have slid? My last few slithers on icy roads were the rear spinning rather than on the brakes.
IMHO ABS is more important on a bike than on a 4 wheeler ( although some purists may not want it ), it has saved me a few time when hitting banding while braking on damp roads or the odd inexplicably slippy patch while braking ( could have been diesel), and stopping front tyre skidding, which could well have resulted in an off. It is reassuring to know you can grab a handful of brakes without thinking about consequences, but then again maybe it can make you a bit lazy about monitoring the surface - all I know is that I would not go back now.

I have been to Scotland many times and one thing I did notice is that your roads are in general quite a bit grippier than ours in England, noticed the same in Wales, they seem to have better roads than England.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 08-06-19 at 10:00 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-19, 08:01 PM   #18
Scittyf

I'm not a huge fan of it. Prefer abs more on the rear as you load up the front brake and the rear lifts.

But I've only ever ridden mechanical ones that pulses quite strong. I quite like the fly by wire system though and how smooth they have made them.
Scittyf is offline   Reply With Quote