SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-04-10, 08:32 PM   #1
Bluefish

Default Power Socket

When i got my sprint the dealer fitted a power cigarette socket on the bike, tried it today no workee, checked inline fuze, it had blown 10amp,trip to shop buy 10amp fuzes try again with satnav and iphone still blows fuzes any ideas. The satnav is a garmin nuvii 310 and on the charger lead the sticker says, input 10-30vdc max 1a, output 4.9-5.25vdc 1a, fuse type1a/250v(ul), by my recconing that should work ok, faulty power socket? ps the car charger works fine in my van.
Old 12-04-10, 07:06 AM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: Power Socket

Just to clarify: Have you checked if the fuse blows before you plug in your accessories?
If yes then there's a problem with the wiring of, or the socket itself.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-10, 08:24 AM   #3
Bluefish

Hi sid, the fuze only blows when I plug in a car charger socket. But as the leads are 12v car charger leads, it says 12v on the actual socket on the bike, the wiring appears to be ok I assume the problem is with the socket it self. Ps I noted when Quiff fitted his it was ok with only a 3amp fuze fitted?

Last edited by Bluefish; 12-04-10 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-04-10, 08:47 AM   #4
warrenhewitt10

I think it has something to do with the load that it puts on it, I have one of these sockets that blows a fuse every time I plug in a power inverter, but my gear4 iPod charger works fine with it
Old 12-04-10, 08:58 AM   #5
Philbo

As mentioned above it sounds like you might be asking too much of it. Try using it to power a phone charger or something. If that works OK then it's pretty safe to assume the problem lies with the gadget that blows the fuse...or the gadget needs more than the 10amp fuse can provide. You could try a larger fuse, but it depends on the socket & wiring used. If the socket or wiring can't support a larger fuse rating, then you risk setting fire to you're bike!

Just a thought, check the polarity on the socket. If you didn't fit it yourself, or have complete faith the person who installed it then it's worth checking. Use a volt meter and check that the positive connection goes to the contact at the bottom center of the socket, and the negative connection goes to the other... Hope that makes sense to you...

OR
Try a slow blow fuse...just in case your using a big capacative load.

Last edited by Philbo; 12-04-10 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-04-10, 09:13 AM   #6
Bluefish

Philbo, will check polarity tonight, I have tried it with my iPhone charger and it blows the fuze with that, you can't get something that uses much less power than phones can you. Will ring the dealer now ask what they think.
Old 12-04-10, 09:19 AM   #7
Bluefish

Quick note, the fuze is the same type as car fuses just a bit smaller, ie not the type found in plugs, I know this should not make a differance but you never know.
Old 12-04-10, 09:47 AM   #8
Philbo

Don't think you can get slow blow versions of the bladed "car" style fuses... Hmm, a strange one, might not be wired correctly, or there may be a fault with the socket. Back to the dealer should be the simple solution if they fitted it.

Daft question here, but is the socket clean and empty? Nobody stuffed a kit kat wrapper down there? The connections to the socket aren't bouncing off part of the frame?

Last edited by Philbo; 12-04-10 at 09:51 AM.
Old 12-04-10, 10:49 AM   #9
Bluefish

Hi plilbo, thanks for your help, no the socket seems ok to look at and is not touching any metal, as you said back to the dealer again, bloody lock on givi box didn't work properly either, still waiting on getting that back.
Old 12-04-10, 07:04 PM   #10
DANINPLYMOUTH

Have you not got the DIN (from memory) socket fitted to your bike, tucked just in the behind the left hand fairing?