SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-04-08, 08:34 AM   #1
cyphertheory

Default SS' that offer the same riding position as the 650

im looking at getting a new bike, and i was wondering if there are any supersports that offer the same kind of riding position as the SV?

im 6'5" so its important that i get a comfortable bike as im touring scotland this summer

ive tried my other halfs 02 ZXR636, but it was to high, and the clipons were too low

any advice?
Old 15-04-08, 08:39 AM   #2
plowsie

Default Re: SS' that offer the same riding position as the 650

Same as the S or the N you mean?

My CBR is pretty much the same as I was on the SV. Then again its not really a SS.
Old 15-04-08, 08:46 AM   #3
philbut

If you don't mind having an older bike, yeah like Plowsie says, try an older 600. The riding position was more relaxed "back in the day". If you do want to go for the latest and greatest, why not try the GSXF, its got some great reviews and I think is a fair bit more roomy than a full on ss600 - but of course not as fast and with slightly cheaper components. Its a tough one.
Old 15-04-08, 08:48 AM   #4
cyphertheory

ah yeah sorry i should have said the pointy S model
Old 15-04-08, 08:50 AM   #5
neio79

NONE of the new SS600 at all. The older ones before they went anorexic would be better. but why would you want an older bike?

I would say, anything before 2000 would be ok and better than the newer ones.
Old 15-04-08, 08:51 AM   #6
plowsie

Yeah +1 on the GSX650F, try and get hold of the Bike review on it. Very good review.
Old 15-04-08, 08:51 AM   #7
$tevo

I reckon you'll be stuck with looking at the type of gear that Shelley was looking at if you're going SS - basically, retro fitting standard bars
Old 15-04-08, 09:02 AM   #8
T0mm0

I test rode a new R6 on Saturday and can say the riding position is similar to the SV. I expected to be hunched over the tank and my wrists aching but i wasn't. The seat is a little harder and found I could just about touch the ground (confortably) which surprised me. I really nice ride, totally different from riding a vtwin. The brakes are unbelieveable, so much better than the SV. I gave it lots of respect, didn't really chuck it about as the roads were alittle wet but it still managed to make me grin like a Cheshire cat.

Very tempted to switch but i'm not sure how commuting to London will suit such a bike. Plus the dealer was only prepared to give me £1000 for mine
Old 15-04-08, 09:23 AM   #9
Dangerous Dave

The most all round/touring comfortable SS600's are the CBR (non-RR), TT600 and the 98-02 ZXR's (G and J models I think). Thats not to say that you won't find the others comfortable though, try and get some test rides or at least get to sit on them!

Last edited by Dangerous Dave; 15-04-08 at 11:40 AM.
Old 15-04-08, 11:37 AM   #10
fatneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
The most all round/touring comfortable SS600's are the CBR (non-RR), TT600 and the 98-02 ZXR's (G and E models I think).
Mine is an 01 ZX6R (J2 model) as in the pic, and as SS 600s go its quite big and not too 'head down ar53 up' as the current trend seems to be. Maybe look at the 900cc version though?!