SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-04-08, 01:35 AM   #1
KillaSV

Angry Bike Down (little long)

Well as everyone has told me from the first day i took the bike off the lot, you will drop it atleast once. On a good note i didnt drop it while riding. I was cruising along doing the speed limit (30) and herd a weird noise coming from the back. I didnt know if maybe a bag or something got blown into the bike or what. So am coming up to a light that just turned red so i decided to jump off real quick and take a quick peek. Well coming to a stop i figured id put the kickstand down doing about 2 mph (to save me that 5 seconds if i had put it down at a complete stop ). I get off the bike on the left side of course, going to do a 180 toward the back of the bike and by the time i turn around the bike is 2 inches from slamming down. I stepped back in disgust and shock. I picked the bike up and not looking at it just role it off the road onto the sidewalk. Checking over the bike the following got broke.
1) Gear lever snapped off at the 90 degree bend
2) Clutch lever snapped in 1/2
3) 3 Minor scrapes under the mirror
4) Bent the black peice at the end of handlebar that is held on with the screw and scraped it
5) Blew up the turn signal casing and bulb ( not in peices tho thank god)

All in all i was extremely lucky. Not turning the handlebars all the way to the left i think is the reason the front fairing did not get 1 little scratch on it, same as the tank or the rear fairing. No other cosmetic damage anywhere on the bike. The bike is back up and running again. The gear lever, clutch lever and the bulb cost me $68. They wanted $65 for the whole stock front left turn signal whick i said screw you, spent an extra $30 and got black flush mounts. In the mean time i changed the bulb, gorilla glued the casing and used electrical tape, will do for 1 1/2 weeks till my lights come in. That stupid bar end peice they want $65 for, i cant ajustify that so it will remain scratched, i was able to bend it straight again. $50 for the mirror, so i will hold off on that because you need to be on your knees to see the scrapes. Am counting my lucky stars right now. My day started out winning a custody battle for my daughter , to dropping the bike to learning my lesson to not rush to get off a bike because you can cost you ATLEAST $200. I would have cried if my fairing and tank got messed up. Sorry for the long post, start bashing on the noob, but be gentle

Last edited by KillaSV; 19-04-08 at 01:39 AM.
Old 19-04-08, 02:11 AM   #2
ridelikeaturtle

Default Re: Bike Down (little long)

You got off lucky, mate. Well done!

Just wait until you go too fast into a hard left-hander.

So go out and buy that back protector now, the one that covers you lower lower back, before you slide into the curb after the highside from either downshifting one too many gears, or hitting the back brake too hard .
Old 19-04-08, 04:55 AM   #3
newguy1234

Hey man just some help. I did the same thing about a week ago. I found those counterweights for handlebars for about $18. try http://www.cscpowersports.com/fiche_...cc=Motorcycles
It's really easy to use. Good luck man.
Old 19-04-08, 08:37 AM   #4
Tiger 55

Ah, zero mph drops - those that have and those that will!

Good news about your daughter though You think bar ends are expensive, wait till she wants a pony...
Old 19-04-08, 09:13 AM   #5
650SFTT

I dropped my Bike a couple of weeks ago, had pulled over into a layby to wait for another biker, adjusted my right mirror and then bike was on its right hand side, luckly my R&G crash bars took most of the impact (best ?70.00 i have ever spent!!!) got away with a scratched bar end and a small scratch on the exhaust.

I was miffed for days, could not explain why but i didnt want to see the bike for a week
Old 19-04-08, 09:20 AM   #6
Baph

Funny, I did similar the other day.

Only in my case I took the bike off the paddock stand, on to the side stand, and the bike rolled forward a little.

In my case, I just broke the gear lever, and the plastic tabs at the back of the headlight assembly (that's an expensive part - as in ?310 GBP!!).

See, it's not only you.

Last edited by Baph; 19-04-08 at 02:38 PM.