SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 18-02-09, 12:38 PM   #1
SV650S_DUB

Default short stay in Edinburgh

Good afternoon,

I'm planning on a short trip/weekend break to Edinburgh.
It'll be two people, me + better half, staying for two maybe three nights.
What I'm after is real people feedback on which of the supposed upper end city centre hotels, like "The Scotsman", "Malmaison", "The Glasshouse", etc lives up to it's billing?
I don't mind spending a few quid, within reason!, for a good hotel once the whole experience/quality of the place matches the bill.
So if you've any advice/tips on hotels or maybe some hidden gems where we could stay in Edinburgh that'd be great.
Failing that I'll trust in Tripadvisor!

Thanks in adavance.
Old 18-02-09, 01:27 PM   #2
-Ralph-

Default Re: short stay in Edinburgh

No idea, I only ever see the conference facilities, but I'll post a link to the thread in the SV Ecosse section.
Old 18-02-09, 01:53 PM   #3
carlos

No idea about the swanky hotels mate, but for anyone on a tight budget I'd recommend the SmartCity Hostel. Its cheap, very very clean and modern, good facilities, great staff and a bar which opens at something silly like 7am, and its close to the Grassmarket and Royal Mile. Stayed there on a stag do last summer and couldn't fault the place.
Old 18-02-09, 01:58 PM   #4
Ed

We have stayed here before. It's lovely. We weren't disappointed. Don't know about prices now, it was some years ago that we were there. Nice rooms, good breakfast. It's a club but you don't have to be a member nor anything to do with the military.

http://www.royalscotsclub.com/
Old 18-02-09, 05:02 PM   #5
Speedy Claire

Mike and I stayed in a lovely hotel in Edinburgh, within easy peasy walking distance of Prince Street and everywhere else........ can`t remember the name of it tho!! doh
Old 18-02-09, 08:48 PM   #6
Tiger 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650S_DUB View Post
What I'm after is real people feedback
Stay in Glasgow. HTH
Old 18-02-09, 09:18 PM   #7
Endellion

I have a bit of knowledge about a couple of the hotels as I used to work in Malmaison and the Balmoral (swanky overpriced five star avoid) I have never stayed in the Scotsman but I have heard it is good, if again a little pricey
The one I would recommend is Malmaison, it is a smart boutique hotel down the bottom of Leith by the shore which has a good few decent restaurants and bars (Fishers restaurant is small friendly and I have always had good seafood there just next door to hotel and the Cameo bar round the corner is very good imho), the price is also cheaper. Cause you are a short taxi ride from the centre this might affect your desicion.

Hope this helps a bit, PM me if you have any questions
Old 18-02-09, 10:47 PM   #8
JamesMio
Mega Poster

I've heard good things about Malmaison - certainly the one in Glasgow's really nice and a couple of mates stayed at the Edinburgh one a while ago and really liked it. Shouldn't think you'd go far wrong there.

Creatomatic
JamesMio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-09, 11:42 PM   #9
bris

I think the Malmaison is a bit far away from the city centre for your trip as it would mean taxis every where. The Balmoral or Scotsman would be Ideal as you can stay right in the heart of the city and walk anywhere you want to go.
The Sheraton would also be a good choice and also a little bit cheaper than the other two and again everything is on its doorstep.
If you like Chinese then the Loon fung on Warriston Place is a must, for Italian then it has to be Guilianos, top of leith walk opposit the Playhouse.
Old 19-02-09, 05:29 PM   #10
Endellion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bris View Post
I think the Malmaison is a bit far away from the city centre for your trip as it would mean taxis every where. The Balmoral or Scotsman would be Ideal as you can stay right in the heart of the city and walk anywhere you want to go.
The Sheraton would also be a good choice and also a little bit cheaper than the other two and again everything is on its doorstep.
If you like Chinese then the Loon fung on Warriston Place is a must, for Italian then it has to be Guilianos, top of leith walk opposit the Playhouse.
Balmoral is not worth the money imho, unless you have cash to burn heard good things about the Sheraton, although I would go for a decent four star hotel, more reasonable for price versus quality....such as Malmaison!