SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-12-09, 08:50 PM   #1
cbay
Mega Poster

Default Bike Security - Anchor? Chain? Bike Tracker?

Hi Guys!

At the moment my nice new SV650 is in a friends garage being kept warm by his GSXR 600.

But once I pass my test, it will be stored outside my house.

I was going to double anchor it, anchor for front and anchor for back. I ordered two Oxford Anchors (http://www.oxford-shop.co.uk/item3189.htm)

Then I was going to buy two oxford chains and oxford boss disc lock.

But I have seen a couple of reviews of Almax Chains etc.

Also I have been looking into the BikeTrac from Road Angel, I know its a £299 charge for the component and a monthly charge but could be useful for journey and mileage tracking aswell as if someone steals it etc.

What does everyone else use?
cbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-09, 08:57 PM   #2
speedplay

Default Re: Bike Security - Anchor? Chain? Bike Tracker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbay View Post

I was going to double anchor it, anchor for front and anchor for back. I ordered two Oxford Anchors (http://www.oxford-shop.co.uk/item3189.htm)

Dont forget that wheels can be unbolted quite easily if someone wants your bike.

The valuable bit is within the frame and engine etc.

Your better off chaining it through the frame with one very good chain and ground anchor than through the wheels with 2 chains and anchors.

Quote:
Decent shed, disc lock and insurance.

Last edited by speedplay; 29-12-09 at 08:58 PM.
Old 29-12-09, 08:58 PM   #3
cbay
Mega Poster

Yes I was going to do frame and one or other of wheels depending which way I can be arsed to put it, lol
cbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-09, 02:15 AM   #4
zsv650

you could get it alphadotted or the like makes the parts harder too sell and police traceable i think and put a sticker so they know it's dotted makes it less desireable alarm disc locks are a good cheap way off alarming your bike for not much money just remember too put the luminous lanyard on.
Old 30-12-09, 02:20 AM   #5
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

i park mine right outside the window on the front patio. When i ride someplace where i have to leave it for a while then its a chain and lock round rear wheel and lamp-post of possible, or wheel and frame if not and a disc lock for the front wheel.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-09, 02:22 AM   #6
zsv650

if you can dont leave slack on the chain makes it harder too get leverage with a pair of bolt croppers.
Old 30-12-09, 07:36 AM   #7
Fizzy Fish

Personally I wouldn't bother with the tracker - they're expensive, plus I know a number of people who have had them but haven't got their bikes back after they were taken. Better to spend the money on security to stop the bike getting nicked in the first place.

Chaining the bike to something solid is a good start, plus get a cover on it as well and try and keep it hidden if possible (e.g. round the back/side of house rather than in front). If you have two ground anchors, use one for the frame and one for the wheel - really the more awkward it looks to take the better!

The other thing that can be helpful if you have the space and are really concerned about the area, is one of those metal bike sheds, though they are expensive.

I always have alarms on my bikes, but there's divided opinion on how effective they are given the money. Probably better to spend your money on the above instead.
Old 30-12-09, 10:51 AM   #8
Lozzo

Quote:

But I have seen a couple of reviews of Almax Chains etc.

Buy Almax.

A friend of mine has had her brand new GSXR600 stolen from her back garden in Dagenham about 3 months ago

When she bought the replacement GSXR they came back to steal that and have since tried at least 4 times that she knows of. They've removed fence panels, cut all the other locks, moved cars out of the way to get access to it, they've tried everything, but the Almax chain it's locked up with has survived every attempt made on it so far.

I'm not advertising the security measures I take on an open forum for everyone to read, but I'll just say that if the thieves don't know what's there they could end up losing limbs or dead.
Old 30-12-09, 03:05 PM   #9
pete m

they get forced to watch the knights of ni sketch by monty python, then have thier own arms and legs chopped off in your shed , do they Loz?
Old 30-12-09, 06:48 PM   #10
SUPERSTARDJ01

Get a ground anchor Y if you can and an Almax IV chain with a squire lock.

Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bZMvrPo34g

You'll see why everyone rates them, get 1.5m.

And a snitcher.

Last edited by SUPERSTARDJ01; 30-12-09 at 06:55 PM.