SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-07-10, 05:34 PM   #1
hongman

Default Bike Security

Hiya

Just want to get some opinions on something.

When I get my bike I was/am planning on getting a ground anchor, chain + alarmed disc lock.

The bike will be sitting outside my house on the front lawn. Where I live, its in a cul-de-sac, and a "square" area which all the houses round here face onto.

A while ago someone knocked down the bollard preventing cars from getting up to this bit, and everyone now parks their cars right outside their houses.

Anyway.

Is this enough security?

I was chatting to my neighbour about it and he asked me why I didnt fulff about and stick a double gate in on garden, and leave the bike there.

IMO it'd be safe outside the front than the back becuase 1) other houses look onto it 2) general public wander through - whereas in the garden, noone would see. The noise from any alarm would probably be ignored as well.

No garages nearby free, no shed or anything to keep the bike in.

I said to me neighbour I was confident the noise generated from someone trying to hack through the chain and stop the disc lock going off would be sufficient enough, but was a bit taken back when he said chains are pretty naff security. He reckons he could bolt cutter even the thickest of chains without making much noise. After that its lift bike up, back of a van and off they go.

Now I'm worried

During the night, the bike will be blocked in by my car, no not too worried there.

During the day, if I take the car and leave the bike, missus is generally in more often than not. If she goes out my mother in law lives next door

But for all the times when noone IS in , will that security be enough?

Cant build an enclosure or shed as a) its Council property and b) it;ll be right outside my front room window, not sticking a shed there!

Thoughts, opinions.

Might stick a spotlight above the where the bike will go though.
Old 03-07-10, 05:39 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: Bike Security

If they want it badly enough they'll find a way to take it. Nothing you can do will prevent a determined theif IMHO.

Ground Anchor and dirty big chain is the best defence, but still not as good as getting the bike out of site i.e. in a garage.

Google for Almax chains, you wont find better.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 06:17 PM   #3
hongman

Well then it's pot luck, plenty if pikeys round here!
Old 03-07-10, 06:23 PM   #4
metalhead19

If you have room then why not get something like this

http://www.taylorsgardenbuildings.co...roductid=17087

Can still ground anchor your bike inside it or even alarm it if your really worried.
A cover is also an idea, blends in abit more than the bike would.
Old 03-07-10, 06:29 PM   #5
hongman

Thanks for the suggestion, but too dear for me, and nowhere to put it
Old 03-07-10, 06:34 PM   #6
metalhead19

Obviously there are much cheaper/smaller versions around, but if space is an issue then would have thought ground anchor, big chain and disc lock would do.
My bike is left outside on the street when at Uni. I have datatool S4 alarm (yet to have any of the issues everyone seems to have) disc lock, bike cover and big chain wrapped around a lampost if able too.
Old 03-07-10, 06:36 PM   #7
hongman

Yeah, no space for anything like that really

I would get an alarm but I just seem to hear more bad about them than good!
Old 03-07-10, 06:36 PM   #8
xXBADGERXx

I have an Anti Pinch Pin threaded through the Engine of the bike with an Almax Chain running through a ground anchor , about as tough as you can get for stopping an opportunistic thief . If they get past that lot they are welcome to it .
Old 03-07-10, 06:38 PM   #9
xXBADGERXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by hongman View Post
Yeah, no space for anything like that really

I would get an alarm but I just seem to hear more bad about them than good!

Hongman , I have an alarm for sale , official Suzuki Datatool that has never been installed if you are interested .
Old 03-07-10, 06:39 PM   #10
metalhead19

I heard alot of negative about alarms, but i have never had any issues with it and its been on over a year now. Provides alot of piece of mind when parking the bike anywhere