SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-04-12, 02:43 PM   #1
SV650S_DUB

Default Fireblades - 919 or 929?

Good afternoon all,

Anyone got experience of both the Fireblade in 919(injection model) and 929 guises?
I'm interested to know if the 919 is something of a chunky old steed or has it any of that willing nimbleness that the SV650 has in abundance?
Also would like to know whether people consider the 929 to be a better all rounder than the 919. Would I be right to think the 929 is a more forgiving handler as it's a later design or is that just plain wrong?

Mainly thinking about changing the SV for something else for the simple reason of wishing to experience another flavour of biking, the SV is still a far better machine than I am rider, but variety is there to be tasted and all that malarkey. I'm riding very infrequently recently so maybe a sportsbike makes sense for occasional jaunts, but not looking for anything of a savage nature, only imagine the women in my life will deliver such treacherous behaviour! (just kidding)

Many thanks for all feedback.

Dub.
Old 19-04-12, 03:27 PM   #2
L3nny
Mega Poster

Default Re: Fireblades - 919 or 929

I had a 929 for just over 2 years. I have never ridden a 919 though and wouldn't buy one as I have a phobia of carburettors.

The 929 is probably for the money the best bike you can buy, I did everything on mine including a few track days and a 3,000 mile 2 week tour of Europe. Even though it was a super bike in it's time it's more like a sports tourer by today's standards I rode from Warwickshire to Grenoble in one go which is about 700 miles without too many aches and pains.

Don't be put off by the fact it has more power than the SV, I went straight from an SV to the Blade and it improved my riding so much more than if I had stayed with the 650 and I had only passed my test 18 months beforehand.

Only downside is it will be heavier on tyres than the SV and it does like to shake it's head a bit when you give it some on a bumpy road so try and get one that's been fitted with a steering damper.

I paid £2250 for my 2000 RRY model from a dealer with a warranty in March 2010, it was a little cheaper as it had no service history. I wouldn't have been able to get a CBR600F for that money.

£2500 will get you a good low mileage example from a dealer and plenty go for a lot less on Ebay.

Buy one, you'll love it.

One more thing, make sure you have 2 keys with it as a new one is £65!

Last edited by L3nny; 19-04-12 at 03:33 PM.
L3nny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-12, 03:05 PM   #3
SV650S_DUB

Default Re: Fireblades - 919 or 929?

Afternoon L3nny,

thanks for your insights into the 929. Great to get the impression of a former owner, makes me think I'm looking at the right next bike.
The one I'd my eye on has been sold, but there are a few others to have a gander at.
I'd heard a damper was a worthwhile addition so I'll keep that in mind.
Local/Irish 929's seem to be around the €2.5 - 3k mark, often with an aftermarket can and often a PC 3 as well.

Dub.
Old 23-04-12, 04:50 PM   #4
suzukigt380paul

most if not all the blades are good machines ive got a 929 and cant fault it,but would avoid the 954 like the plague as it is known to crack the crank cases(more prevalent in hoter countries) they used 929 cases and because of the extra machining for the increased cc they are to thin and some crack round the water jacket and with a honda rebuild costs of about 4k it aint worth taking the risk,although i believe they changed the cases or the manufacturer on the later 954's but its a problem that shows up later in the 954's life
Old 23-04-12, 05:02 PM   #5
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3nny View Post
and it does like to shake it's head a bit when you give it some on a bumpy road so try and get one that's been fitted with a steering damper.
Not like this isn't a factor of giving almost anything with decent handling and plenty power some beans down a bumpy road.

The only reason I don't like these bikes is they are a bit too good, not quite got the rough edged character some other bikes have that I like. Awesome bit of kit. Brilliant tool to do a job.
Old 23-04-12, 05:40 PM   #6
suzukigt380paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Not like this isn't a factor of giving almost anything with decent handling and plenty power some beans down a bumpy road.

The only reason I don't like these bikes is they are a bit too good, not quite got the rough edged character some other bikes have that I like. Awesome bit of kit. Brilliant tool to do a job.
dont buy a blade coz its "a bit to good",well thats a new one to me,they are as you say a awesome bit of kit and i would say more rideable/a better all roundbike then a r1,and is just as happy bimbleing along at 2000 rpm as it is at the redline,and if you dont have the suspension set up to firm its no worse on our bumpy roads then any other bike,and if you want good mpg the blade or atleast my 929 will if you ride at a steady 70, 80 or even 90 mph will return 50+mpg they also have a almost bullet proof engine and build quality second to none,yes i must say there a bit good,why if you looking for a ports bike would you want fairly good bike when you can have a very good bike!

Last edited by suzukigt380paul; 23-04-12 at 06:21 PM.
Old 23-04-12, 06:17 PM   #7
L3nny
Mega Poster

I understand what YC means by they are too good. They don't have much character, an R1 is more exciting to ride, the power is less linear meaning you get more of a kick at certain revs. Some people like that but I prefer the smooth almost power band free Honda engine.

I know any bike will shake it's head on a bumpy road but some have damper fitted as standard.