SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 31-01-05, 07:58 AM   #1
normas_glasses

Default Caliper piston seals

I've commuted on my 2000 SK1 throughout the winter, and have recently found the brakes gradually binding more and more up to the point where it was a struggle to push the bike out of the garage.
Yesterday I took the front calipers off to clean them and found that the lower piston on each had seized. With a bit of brake cleaner and persuasion the pistons freed, bringing with them the rubber seal which was attached with road 'salt'.
The pistons now move freely, albeit with a bit rubber hanging down between themselves and the back of the brake pad.

I believe there are 2 seals on each piston - a dust seal (now buggered) follwed by the piston seal itself. So .... how urgent is it to get the calipers overhauled ? Can I leave it until its next main service (June/July), with the risk that the piston seal may become damaged or should I treat it as a matter of urgency ?

Any advice ?

Neil
Old 31-01-05, 08:04 AM   #2
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Grab the protruding seal with a pair of priers and pull it out. You can ride the bike without. The thing is though, they are put in for a reason. There will be a build up of crap in the gap left, especially this time of year. You will find that your brakes will bind more and more often. Best to bite the bullet and overhaul the calipers. It ain't difficult but it can be fiddly, especially if retaining pins etc have become seized in the caliper.

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote