SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-12-09, 04:04 PM   #1
Rob969

Default Electrical or Datatool problem.

Recently removed my battery and charged it up, after fitting it again the alarm (datatool system 3) disarms and when i turn on the ignition the neutral and oil lights come on. but if i operate the brakes the lights go out and the brake lights don't light. this is the same if i try the horn or front lights. the bike turns over but doesn't start and i'm wondering if this is an alarm issue or not. anyone else had anything similar before i go into major fault finding mode and attack the electrics.
Old 06-12-09, 04:17 PM   #2
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Default Re: Electrical or Datatool problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob969 View Post
Recently removed my battery and charged it up, after fitting it again the alarm (datatool system 3) disarms and when i turn on the ignition the neutral and oil lights come on. but if i operate the brakes the lights go out and the brake lights don't light. this is the same if i try the horn or front lights. the bike turns over but doesn't start and i'm wondering if this is an alarm issue or not. anyone else had anything similar before i go into major fault finding mode and attack the electrics.
nop it should not be an alarm issue as its not wired into the headlights/brake light. does the bike actualy turn over or does it all just go dead?
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-09, 04:48 PM   #3
Rob969

turns over but doesn't start. but if you operate any switch the instrument lights (neutral, oil) go out. but come on again when everything else is turned off. also pressing the horn does the same thing. never had any problems until the battery went flat, and i removed it to charge.
Old 06-12-09, 05:26 PM   #4
Rob969

ok played about a bit more and its now starting. think theres a short in the lighting circuit somewhere dragging all the current though. when i was trying to start it if i switched the lights or something on everything died instantlly so i guess i'll be looking into that when i get chance
Old 06-12-09, 05:33 PM   #5
speedplay

Rip out the datatool...*

*JUST TO UPSET TSM
  Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 06-12-09, 05:47 PM   #6
Rob969

don't worry thats going to happen.
Old 06-12-09, 08:24 PM   #7
thedonal

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedplay View Post
Rip out the datatool...*

*JUST TO UPSET TSM
Seconded
Old 07-12-09, 01:04 AM   #8
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

It's not the alarm. As stated above it's not connected in a way such that it could cause such problems.

Ripping out an alarm that works is a ridiculous suggestion - if it had a fault that would be a different matter, it's not the problem here and I find it hard to understand why you might think it is. You've disturbed the battery and not the alarm, so why your finger of suspicion should fall on the alarm is hard to fathom - unless you've had problems with it before and you've not stated those of course.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-09, 06:07 AM   #9
speedplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
It's not the alarm. As stated above it's not connected in a way such that it could cause such problems.

Ripping out an alarm that works is a ridiculous suggestion - if it had a fault that would be a different matter, it's not the problem here and I find it hard to understand why you might think it is. You've disturbed the battery and not the alarm, so why your finger of suspicion should fall on the alarm is hard to fathom - unless you've had problems with it before and you've not stated those of course.

It was just a comment to get a rise out of TSM
Old 07-12-09, 05:18 PM   #10
Rob969

only thought it might have something to do with the alarm as it wasn't starting, but i've got it running now just wanted to check the 2 problems weren't linked. As for ripping the alarm out its something i've been thinking of doing for a while. Now I know its a purely electrical problem i'm not bothered, 10 years experience of been an Aircraft electricain shoud help me out there.