SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-11-06, 01:21 PM   #1
krhall

Default Know your limits! I'm not too sure that I do!

As I have mentioned in previous postings, I am new to biking (less than a month) and due to the recent weather I am struggling to get used to the daily commute on my SV. Especially as I don't really know the bikes limits or the limits of my ability.

I regularly have to move out of the way for bikes maintaining much more speed whilst filtering through the traffic on the A2 between Dartford and Greenwich and vice versa. I have to admit that the night time is much worse.

This leads me to ask if there are any SV riders, who also do some/all of this route and wouldn't mind me following them and picking up some riding tips etc, so that I can get a better idea of where the limits on my bike are and possibly my own limits.

I normally get on at the Dartford Heath or Black Prince turn off on the A2 between 0730 and 0745, my return journey starts at Sun in th Sands roundabout at about 1700 - 1715. I would really appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Kev
Old 23-11-06, 01:28 PM   #2
Baph

Sounds like a good plan to me!

Welcome to the madhouse btw!

Just take things steady & you should be fine (I live no-where near the A2, otherwise I'd be up for it). I've only been riding a few short months myself, but still.
Old 23-11-06, 01:29 PM   #3
thor

Don't worry about keeping up. There will always be someone quicker. Just take it steady and at your own pace. Confidence and skill will come with time.
Old 23-11-06, 01:32 PM   #4
skidmarx

IAM 4u asap
Old 23-11-06, 01:33 PM   #5
thor

You could do a bikesafe course. It's a one day thing, would probably be useful for you.
Old 23-11-06, 01:35 PM   #6
on yer bike

yeah, u don't want to follow someone else, as they have their own limits, and you have yours, as a new biker I found the exact same, pulling in to let other bikers past. when you feel more confident in filtering you will naturally speed up, but dont go at anyone elses speed or take risks that you are not feeling 100% safe with

on yer bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-06, 01:42 PM   #7
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Always ride to what you are happy with.

Thats what I do, and if out with some with less than my whopping 2 months experience its what I tell them too, especially to remind then, when, at the end of the ride, they insist on apologising for holdin you up (looking at no one inparticular from last night :P)

We all go through doubt - especially if we have a near-miss - check out my post about my off, I made a very similar plea as you did.

And as you are not too far from town, come meet the Soho Massive @ Frith St tomorrow night
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-06, 01:53 PM   #8
krhall

I was doing OK and gathering in confidence until I bought some proper boots last week, as my feet were getting soaked, since then I can't really get comfortable on the bike using the pedals.

I seem to spend a lot of time re-adjusting my feet etc. The boots themselves are comfortable, but my feet positioning seems to be all wrong which isn't helping with my confidence as I keep looking down to re-adjust.

I have only had one enjoyable journey in since then, yesterday morning! Although it was cold the ground was bone dry and I was pushing myself a little bit more. When I got off the bike in Greenwich I had a massive smile and it set me up for the day.

Then it hacked down on the way home and it destroyed me again!

That said my journey has gone from being anywhere between 45mins - 2 hours (on occasion) to being about 25 mins.

I do need to get to one of the meetings, was going to go to SELKENT last night, but got called out to work at the last minute.
Old 23-11-06, 01:57 PM   #9
walnuts

I'm repeating the comments of others but still.....

Never ever try to copy someone elses filtering style or speed, it's a recipe for disaster, just stick to what your comfortable with. You'll still be going faster than the cagers anyway
Old 23-11-06, 02:02 PM   #10
dotted

Dont worry about it , I think that filtering requires a lot of experience to be done safe . Your still faster than the cars , you just cant exect to be as fast and safe , as someone that is riding a motorcycle for years !

I have 8000km on my SV , and the limit is on my riding skills i would love to be a better rider , but i know that every time i push it little more ,i risk triggering a panic response that could lead to a crash !

If it makes you fell any better... when i started ride my SV , 50cc scooters and lorry's would overtake in twisty roads