SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-12-17, 08:55 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Triumph Bobber

Yet another indication where I live is a motorcycle wasteland.

"the Bobber, which registration figures show as the third best-selling motorcycle over 125cc in the first half of the year." (from Visordown)

How many Bobbers have you seen? I saw one earlier this year but it was the demonstrator from Webbs (Lincoln), haven't seen one since.

Triumphs in general - I see far more Speed/Street triples than any other models in their range. I thought I'd see a lot of Street twins (seen 1), watercooled T120 (couple), watercooled T100 (1), air cooled scramblers (5 or 6). Rocket 3 (4 or 5 - none on a 16 or later plate).

Edit - thinking about it a bit more, I see more Triumph Tigers than the Bonneville range

"The British motorcycle manufacturer (Triumph) has reported a 48% growth in annual pre-tax profits, from £16.6million to £24.7million." (from Visordown again). Well done Triumph.

Last edited by Seeker; 20-12-17 at 10:37 AM.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-17, 09:56 AM   #2
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Default Re: Triumph Bobber

I've seen hardly any on the roads. I used to live up there though, it's almost mandatory to have a bike, that's what I found
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-17, 10:47 AM   #3
Talking Heads

Registration figures are not the full story.
Dealer demonstrators get registered but are not translated into sales to members of the public until they get sold on.
If every Triumph dealer has a Bobber demonstrator that's 49 "sales"

The key bit you left out Seeker was "Financial results to the end of June 2017 show Triumph's bike sales also grew, from 56,253 to 63,404, with 86% sold overseas."

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...es-and-profits

Triumph's UK sales are currently in decline.
In November 2016 they shifted 466 bikes, in November 2017 it was down to 396

Triumph are doing the right thing looking to develop in new markets because the UK bike market is likely to fall on its ****.

You can get the Press Release data (minus the journalistic spin) direct from the MCIA
http://www.mcia.co.uk/sub/Press_Stats
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-17, 05:06 PM   #4
Trev B

I’m sure the sale of motorcycles no matter what make is mainly down to the age of the average consumer.Just go to any bikers meet and what do you see...middle age and older dudes like me (63).At the TT it’s the same and I’m going to the classic in 2019 and without doubt that will be the same.what with the economic climate and many people struggling there doesn’t appear to be so many young ‘uns starting off on two wheels and following on through the years.An awful lot of us maturer end seem to prefere the more sit up and beg style running up to the big trailies and I believe even the Honda XADV is not far behind the new Blade in sales,both around £10k,an awful lot of money to many,so I think the market is more for the middle aged with a bit of disposable income who require a fair amount of comfort.Only my observation but what’s your opinion ???????
Old 20-12-17, 06:27 PM   #5
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Also biking became fashionable and cool again in the 90s and 2000s when disposable income was on the up. Remember 120,000 plus at Brands WSB? Times have changed a lot now. Triumph know that and their focus will be overseas.
Old 20-12-17, 07:06 PM   #6
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Millennials have been through the most risk averse liberal minded school system, they have been well brainwashed in political correctness, driven everywhere in warms cars, and wrapped in cotton wool for too many years to do something like riding a motorbike - the growth markets will be places like Asia, China and India where motorbikes are still popular and the cotton wool is not so regularly and thickly applied..

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-17, 07:41 PM   #7
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Millennials have been through the most risk averse liberal minded school system, they have been well brainwashed in political correctness, driven everywhere in warms cars, and wrapped in cotton wool for too many years to do something like riding a motorbike - the growth markets will be places like Asia, China and India where motorbikes are still popular and the cotton wool is not so regularly and thickly applied..
Sounds about right.

I went for the comfy T100 when I decided it was time for a change after 6 years of GSX-F ownership. Lots of middle aged chaps like me at most biker haunts and going to the Bike Show last month was like ehtering a geriatric convention!
Old 20-12-17, 08:02 PM   #8
Craig380
Mega Poster

Dunno about being brainwashed into being risk-averse, but the current bike test and licence restrictions can't help ... it's all a far cry from when I got my full licence by doing one lap of the streets around the test centre being 'watched' by Johnny Clipboard the tester, followed by an emergency stop and answering three questions on the Highway Code ...

No training needed, just a 10-minute test and I could go and buy a Z1000 if I had £1,499 and could afford to insure it ...

Last edited by Craig380; 20-12-17 at 08:03 PM.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-17, 12:37 AM   #9
Talking Heads

Back when I were a lad I bought me a brand spanking new LC350
On the day I collected it the salesman took me round the back of the workshop and showed me a line of five smashed LCs.
None of them had made it to 1000 miles and two of the riders had succumbed to their injuries.
Did that make me ride it sensibly?
Did it fook!

When you can have a brand new car for £99 down and £23 a week on PCP (including two years free servicing) wtf would kids want a bike?
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-17, 08:17 AM   #10
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
When you can have a brand new car for £99 down and £23 a week on PCP (including two years free servicing) wtf would kids want a bike?
They use smartphone at home, in car, in restaurants, in the toilet, in bed - the one place it is hard to use their life support system is on a motorbike. They need to have the link broken and concentrate on something else for a while instead of checking their phone 3000 times a day.

May also give them a feel for the weather and how its sometimes hot and sometimes cold, and sometimes the road gets wet and then its not so grippy etc. Wrapped up in their PCP 'handbag car'** fug-boxes with their infotainment (another word for 'total distraction system') poor things haven't a clue what is happening in the weather department.

( ** handbag car, small motorised skate board type car like Fiat 500 or Mini, although a modern Mini is 3x as big as the old mini but with less room inside - how did they do that ? )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
Did that make me ride it sensibly?
Did it fook!
Darwin was right then

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 21-12-17 at 08:35 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote