SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 03-12-09, 12:23 PM   #471
Berlin

Default Re: Mallory Park - 28th November

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
Would be interested to hear what binky/berlin. pink & white/wester etc. do about getting past people on the narrow bends. When there was a crowd it just didn't feel safe, if I knew the person infront was slow enough to get round safely I'd do it, but what do you do otherwise?
Its usually trackday etiquet to overtake on the exit of the corner and not on the entrance. No diving up the inside. Its not a race.

If you happen to be behind someone that is on a faster bike that is holding you up on the corners and you can't get past him on the exit, cruise for half a lap to put yourself ina different position rather than going for a "do or die" on the brakes.

I got black flagged at Knockhill for being forced to cut under someone (with lots of room mind you) due to someone coming past me on the brakes at about 30mph faster than me on the line I wanted to take. This forced me back onto a line directly behind the guy I was going to go past on the brakes. My actions affected the rider in front as I passed him but it was better than running into the back of him. I deserved the black flag but was forced by someone else into that position. Your actions may affect several others in a ripple effect.

I was cut up at least a dozen times that would have lead to an instant black flag at Knockhill and no one at Mallory batted an eye.

All in all, the mallory day is the shoddiest Track day I've done. Why they let over 6 people fall off in the same place before checking and cleaning the track is beyond me. They should have checked after two as they do in racing.

Was anyone black flagged at all on the day?

C
Old 03-12-09, 12:24 PM   #472
pink and white

i dont think the photographer took any photos of last two sessions
Old 03-12-09, 12:38 PM   #473
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlin View Post
Its usually trackday etiquet to overtake on the exit of the corner and not on the entrance. No diving up the inside. Its not a race.

If you happen to be behind someone that is on a faster bike that is holding you up on the corners and you can't get past him on the exit, cruise for half a lap to put yourself ina different position rather than going for a "do or die" on the brakes.

I got black flagged at Knockhill for being forced to cut under someone (with lots of room mind you) due to someone coming past me on the brakes at about 30mph faster than me on the line I wanted to take. This forced me back onto a line directly behind the guy I was going to go past on the brakes. My actions affected the rider in front as I passed him but it was better than running into the back of him. I deserved the black flag but was forced by someone else into that position. Your actions may affect several others in a ripple effect.

I was cut up at least a dozen times that would have lead to an instant black flag at Knockhill and no one at Mallory batted an eye.

All in all, the mallory day is the shoddiest Track day I've done. Why they let over 6 people fall off in the same place before checking and cleaning the track is beyond me. They should have checked after two as they do in racing.

C
Ahh that confirmed what I orginally thought, cheers berlin Started doubting myself wondering if I was too polite
I did screw up on edwinas one time and overly mis read the speed the bike infront was going at (you can see it in the video : )and had to overtake him just before turning into edwinas which I was comfortable with but it was safe.
I didn't see a black flag all day, never been more thankful for shoulder checks, a few track bikes were pretty unpredictable.

Last edited by Dave20046; 03-12-09 at 12:40 PM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-09, 12:40 PM   #474
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink and white View Post
i dont think the photographer took any photos of last two sessions
No I don't think he did, shame.
Old 03-12-09, 12:42 PM   #475
robh539

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlin View Post

C

There was one rider in are group, that on several occasions got very close and pushed past people into the corners. They also was within slapping distance then forced past me with going into the bus stop, i was on the line and following another bike. He was twice the speed of us. I had to brake hard to avoid a bump and due to he wasn't far from running into the back of the other bike. No flag was used.

He said it was too dark for pictures to be taken in the last session for sure.
Old 03-12-09, 12:44 PM   #476
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by robh539 View Post
There was one rider in are group, that on several occasions got very close and pushed past people into the corners. They also was within slapping distance then forced past me with going into the bus stop, i was on the line and following another bike. He was twice the speed of us. I had to brake hard to avoid a bump and due to he wasn't far from running into the back of the other bike. No flag was used.

He said it was too dark for pictures to be taken in the last session for sure.
Was it a dark track bike with black/grey leathers? I saw him cut loads of people up throughout the day.
Old 03-12-09, 01:02 PM   #477
robh539

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
Was it a dark track bike with black/grey leathers? I saw him cut loads of people up throughout the day.
That is the bloke. Such a wrong place to fly past and squeeze a novice out of the way in my pinion.

I would very hesitant of overtaking a group of bikes (3+), due to the space in front if they want to have ago to thought i did go wide up to the hairpin and out brake then for a clean move a couple of times.

I was behind mike for a few laps then he took 3 bikes, i hung back and pick them of 1 by 1, as they were moving about to much for my liking.
Old 03-12-09, 01:09 PM   #478
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by robh539 View Post
That is the bloke. Such a wrong place to fly past and squeeze a novice out of the way in my pinion.

I would very hesitant of overtaking a group of bikes (3+), due to the space in front if they want to have ago to thought i did go wide up to the hairpin and out brake then for a clean move a couple of times.

I was behind mike for a few laps then he took 3 bikes, i hung back and pick them of 1 by 1, as they were moving about to much for my liking.
I know I saw him being pretty daft, like I say more than once, c u next tuesday was uttered a few times....
Mikes got the power to get past the bleeders though! Don't blame you for not trying it.
Old 03-12-09, 01:12 PM   #479
robh539

My thoughts were, you stupid runt lol
Old 03-12-09, 01:53 PM   #480
Berlin

If he was passing three people at a time into a corner he was obviously in the wrong group!

Why people find it more fun to pass lots of people in the novice group rather than move up to inters or fast group is beyond me. Passing people of a less ability isn't big or clever. Passing someone of the same ability... erm.. is !