SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-10-18, 07:12 PM   #1
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Default Are SV1000 really an investment?

Every year or so I get the urge to sell by aging naked thou and get something a bit more modern. Then I test ride some modern bikes, take mine out for a blat, change my mind, spend a bit more getting bits fixed and repeat the process next year.

However my feet are itchier than ever this year so I have been looking at it a bit more seriously (possibly a multistrada) and am amazed to see the thous getting ever more expensive.

There's some on auto-trader listed as "collectors item" and rare.

Given there is every likelihood that some perspective thou owners would be on here browsing, would you seriously pay upward of £2,500 for a K3 naked thou?

If so, would you be interested in one with a bit of engine case flaking but otherwise pretty decent nick. With a big box of spare bits.
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-18, 01:01 AM   #2
zsv650s

Default Re: Are SV1000 really an investment?

Yeah don't do it just bought my nekkid thou for just under £3k and the guy was reluctant to let it go for that really don't see anything else I'd want around tbh other than maybe a newer KTM and they are mega bucks.
zsv650s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-18, 11:04 AM   #3
Davemurphy007

I’ve been tracking the prices of the SV1000 SZ (Full-faired, limited edition version) for the last few years now and they seem to be at the bottom of their price curve with the best ones now heading upwards from 3k. If my experiences of cars is anything to go by then if/when those go up, and that’s selling prices not advertised prices, then the rest of the range will experience a slight strengthening of values, but never to the same extent as the halo model.

I haven’t ridden an SVThou yet to comment on it dynamically, but from an image and desirability point of view, they’re a long way off yet - they’re no Ducati Monster after all. The earlier TL’s are slowly getting there though.

Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle - www.youtube.com/davemurphyengineer
Facebook: DME Vlogs - Twitter: @MrChipMurphy
Davemurphy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-18, 12:25 PM   #4
zsv650s

Like a TL without the **** your pants dodgy rear shock what's not too love.
Old 09-10-18, 12:39 PM   #5
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Mark, Mark, Mark... You pop up every year with the same thread! We all know you're going to keep it

I loved my Curvy 650 so I can only imagine how good your thou must be in almost every sense in the real world. The only reason I didn't get one is I wanted to try something different.
Old 09-10-18, 04:44 PM   #6
Talking Heads

Can't see why anyone would pay over £2500 for an SV1000 when you can get a decent VTR1000 for around a grand less?
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-18, 05:05 PM   #7
zsv650s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
Can't see why anyone would pay over £2500 for an SV1000 when you can get a decent VTR1000 for around a grand less?
What a firestorm ride one and you'll have your answer
Old 10-10-18, 01:56 AM   #8
Davemurphy007

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsv650s View Post
Like a TL without the **** your pants dodgy rear shock what's not too love.
“Proper man’s bike”

Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle - www.youtube.com/davemurphyengineer
Facebook: DME Vlogs - Twitter: @MrChipMurphy
Davemurphy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-18, 09:46 AM   #9
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
If you want an investment bike buy a Kawasaki KH400 (or S3) triple. The H2 750 triples are nudging £19000, the H1A, B and C (500cc) are now nudging £15000, the D,E and F (and the unloved KH500) are a bit cheaper but 3 years ago you could have bought an H1A for less than £10k.
That is my one big motorcycling regret. About 15 years ago, I could have bought a really nice H2 (painted front guard, short swingarm etc) for £2,000. Totally original and unrestored, it had been imported from Italy so although the paint was a bit faded it was untouched by salt, the chrome was perfect.

He let me have a test ride and bloody hell, it was incredible. What a racket it made, too. I offered £1,700 but he was firm on price so I left it. He sold it a week later. Why I didn't bite his hand off, I don't know. What was I thinking???
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-18, 06:50 PM   #10
Mark_h
Mega Poster

During my recent looking about I found a really tidy TL. If anyone is looking for one I can point you in the right direction.
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote