SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-04-14, 08:00 PM   #1
pugsly1002000

Default Popping and banging on idle. Curvy

Hi really in need of some help with my 1999 sv650 naked. It have recently bought it and it just will not stop popping and banging on idle when the choke is switched off and even some times when it bangs it flings the odd flame out. Reaaly causing some issues with the neighbours. If I leave it just a little on choke then it wont do it but dont want to sit on choke constantly. Thank u
Old 27-04-14, 08:29 PM   #2
Haircut

Default Re: popping and banging on idle

I am no expert but I had similar which was cured by a good clean of the carbs, on mine the jets on the rear carb were bunged up.

Other causes could be the ignition circuit on one or both of the cylinders.

If you search this forum (and svrider.com) you should be able to find some good advice on how to clean the carbs and how to check if you are getting a good spark at each cylinder.

Haynes manual also helped me a lot.

hth
Haircut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-14, 10:56 PM   #3
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

I wish I could 'pop' and 'bang' when idling......sadly those days seem behind me now
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-14, 06:37 AM   #4
Citizen

Mine used to do it all the time until I removed the Scottoiler and found the vacuum connection was not attached!

Since the hole has been blocked it is like a different bike, no popping or banging whatsoever.

Maybe check see if one is/was attached at some point.
Citizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-14, 06:02 PM   #5
pugsly1002000

Default Re: Popping and banging on idle. Curvy

Hiya were would the hole be please buddy as its unreal the popping and banging on idle
Old 29-04-14, 07:00 AM   #6
Citizen

It is under the tank on the right hand side (if you were sitting on the bike) basically all the hoses should be intact, if a Scottoiler is fitted there will be a "t" insert on the hose.

Best ways, seat off, tank lifted, check the hoses for any issues.

The first pic in this thread shows one that has been "fixed"
http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=120318
Citizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-14, 08:01 AM   #7
maviczap
Mega Poster

Also check the airbox is seated correctly
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-14, 10:15 AM   #8
embee
Mega Poster

Most likely reason is running too lean, very often due to air leaks. Do what the others advise, plus check the front intake vac stub pipe has a cap on it. It's buried down below the front carb, a bit of a pain to get to but you should be able to see it reasonably easily.

Someone in teh past may have fitted a piece of hose to it in order to make carb balancing a lot easier, a common thing to do, and if this is the case then check that the hose is capped off.

Check carbs are seated in the intake rubbers properly, that they are not perished/cracked (bearing in mind curveys are getting on a bit now), and the clips are reasonably tight.
Old 29-04-14, 01:32 PM   #9
thatdude

A potential issue could be the exhaust gaskets, particularly the rear which, due to the design of the exhaust system coming out from the cylinder head, can collect water in the joining pipework. You may be able to hear this by putting your hand over the exhaust outlet and hearing for any leaks in the exhaust system.
Old 29-04-14, 08:22 PM   #10
pugsly1002000

Well had carbs off today and checked every pipe I could see including the one that has been mentioned on the intake at front and thats got black rubber plug on so all ok there. Intake rubbers looked all ok apart from the rubber being quite hard but still flexible enough I think. The jets are bog standards I believed which was 17.5 and 137.5 main. The only modified part on bike is the scorpion stubby end can so not sure if need jetting or not ?? . Thanks all