SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 09-05-14, 11:31 AM   #61
ophic
Mega Poster

Default Re: Halal meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by thulfi View Post
And in the grand scheme of things, eating halal unknowingly is hardly a biggy when you're probably munching on a horse or god
Horse is yummy. Never tried god.
Old 09-05-14, 11:34 AM   #62
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
My cousin was a pork butcher. The pigs walked in downstairs and were carried out of the shop upstairs. Everything but the squeek got used. Until the rules got changed a few years ago. He slaughtered all his own. One of my local butchers still runs a slaughterhouse. If you care about the quality and welfare of your meat. Buy from a local butcher who can tell you how/when it was slaughtered, what farm it came from etc.
Many butchers outsource their slaughtering to a slaughterhouse these days. So you still don't know for sure.
Old 09-05-14, 11:41 AM   #63
CharleyFarley

Default Halal meat

[QUOTE=timwilky;2953928]Meat is meat, Halal, Kosher whatever!

Everything but the squeek got used..........[\QUOTE]

Is a pigs @rse pork??

Not the hole of it!!!!!!

"Gas it w###a".........
Old 09-05-14, 11:41 AM   #64
timwilky
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post
Many butchers outsource their slaughtering to a slaughterhouse these days. So you still don't know for sure.
Yes, but when I think of the butchers 2 miles away, they take in contract slaughter work to top up their own demand. Costly having to have a meat inspector in place.

but it is a small local slaughter house. they take their time. right first time. Not like the local massive industrial slaughter/butcher/packager where it is all industrialised.and half a dozen different supermarkets names go on the package.
Old 09-05-14, 11:56 AM   #65
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
Not like the local massive industrial slaughter/butcher/packager where it is all industrialised.and half a dozen different supermarkets names go on the package.
I did a project at school on meat and visited one of these in Corby. They wouldn't show me the actual slaughter, but some of the cows were still kicking and struggling as they were hoisted up by the back legs onto a hanging conveyor belt for the butchering.

You'd think they were still alive until you realised they had no heads at this point.
Old 09-05-14, 12:54 PM   #66
SvNewbie

I can't help but think that most of the controversy around Halal meat is thinly veiled racism. There is no good reason to be upset by it, excepting possibly finding it against your own religion.

I personally couldn't care what your shaman or witch doctor felt the need to utter during the slaughter.

As many other people have said quality of life is much more important that whether the slaughter was carried out with stunning or not (although personally I think its slightly more humane).

That being said, I don't trust anyone who doesn't eat bacon
Old 09-05-14, 01:08 PM   #67
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvNewbie View Post
There is no good reason to be upset by it, excepting possibly finding it against your own religion.
That's a pretty big exception.
Old 09-05-14, 01:14 PM   #68
SvNewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post
That's a pretty big exception.
Hmm, we've had the religion argument on the org before. To me they are all nothing more than stupid rituals and bedtime stories. But that's just my opinion.

However, plenty of people I've seen reposting these stories couldn't give a crap about religion or animal welfare for that matter.
Old 09-05-14, 01:24 PM   #69
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Nothing wrong with eating horse if you know that's what you are eating. Or snake, hare, peacock, crocodile and tree grubs - I've tried all of those (but I still won't eat bacon). The point was I knew what I was eating, no one was selling me crocodile while claiming it was chicken, whereas Asda or whoever were selling beef lasagne made of horse, which is where the whole food chain becomes questionable. I think overall it was a good thing as it made people start asking about the origins of their meat.

Saying that, crocodile steaks are pretty cheap compared to fillet steak, but leather handbags and shoes reasonably priced yet a crocodile skin handbag costs an absolute fortune, well over £2k for a nice one.
Old 09-05-14, 01:26 PM   #70
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Saying that, crocodile steaks are pretty cheap compared to fillet steak, but leather handbags and shoes reasonably priced yet a crocodile skin handbag costs an absolute fortune, well over £2k for a nice one.
Maybe most crocs have rubbish skin?

What if it was alligator skin and they sold it as crocodile?