SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-07-18, 11:54 AM   #21
BigTon

Default Re: Erratic ignition now no power, no start

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
Yeh it should.It's more likely a main power wire/ground.

What state are the actual fuse holder sockets in?

I had a none-starter where the fuse holder looked ok but was open-circuit.

Fuse holder is clean. Bike is always stored in my garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-07-18, 11:58 AM   #22
BigTon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I'll say one thing BT, you keep finding things that aren't right!

As a general rule with Suzukis, if it's an Orange wire or an Orange wire with a stripe - that is switched power.

Looking at the colour schematic, there's a red wire going to fuse 5, so that should have 12V power all the time.

There shouldn't be 12V on the other fuses until the ignition is on (ie opposite to what you have).

1) with the ignition off, do you have 12V on the red wire at the ignition switch?

2) with the ignition off, do you have 0V on the orange wire at the ignition switch?

3) with the ignition on, do you have 12V on the orange wire at the ignition switch?

When you measure your voltages are you putting the negative probe on the battery negative terminal or on the bike chassis? (they should read the same voltage).

If you have a short it will direct battery current to ground which would drop your 12V meter reading to 0V but the battery can produce over 100 Amps when shorted so it would melt any wire that wasn't fuse protected - you would smell it and see smoke until burnt through.

I do seem to find thing not right

Ignition off - no power to red wire
Ignition off - 13v at orange wire
Ignition on - power drops to 1v at orange wire
Tested with black probe on batt - and red at the fuse box or connector? Should I try black probe elsewhere?

No smoke or smell when I’ve been testing

Old 10-07-18, 12:22 PM   #23
Bibio
Mega Poster

not trying to be rude but do you understand wiring schematics?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-18, 12:29 PM   #24
BigTon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
not trying to be rude but do you understand wiring schematics?

To an extent yes but knowledge is very basic to honest.

Old 10-07-18, 12:40 PM   #25
BoltonSte
Mega Poster

iirc (it's been a while since I had a curvy). We had similar issues with the green connector/starter relay I think on the RHS under the black infill.
BoltonSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-18, 12:55 PM   #26
Bibio
Mega Poster

then i would suggest that you take some time to understand the schematic a bit more.

it looks complicated but in reality its very easy. follow the coloured lines till you come to a connector/component then look at the connector/component for the route it takes through and out the other side. sometimes the colour of the wire changes so you need to follow that.

if you have a coloured printer then print the diagram out. get a highlight pen and highlight the wiring you have done, also mark down voltages as you go with power on/off. start from the battery and work your way out.

with fuses the power goes in one end (usually marked with the long line or no fuse at the junction)

with things like switches there are dots/circles with a "bar" connecting them. this is to tell you when things are on/off and what way the voltage flows.

as an example lets look at the ignition switch red wire. when the ignition switch is in the on position the red wire connects to the orange wire. when the ignition is off/lock then there is no power to anything, when the ignition is at park then the red connects to the brown.

so if you put the red probe of your DMM in the orange wire exiting the ignition switch and the black probe on the battery negative terminal there should be no power on the orange wire when the switch is off, when you turn the switch to on then you should get 12-13vdc on the orange wire.

if you get power where there should not be then disconnect the connector and probe the main loom (not the switch) orange wire with the red probe of your DMM. if you still get power then you have to probe deeper into the loom to find out exactly where you are getting the power from. its very very rare that you get reverse voltage and the most common is the battery being connected the wrong way round.. trust me i have seen people do it. or the negative system is shorting to a live.
Old 10-07-18, 12:57 PM   #27
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltonSte View Post
iirc (it's been a while since I had a curvy). We had similar issues with the green connector/starter relay I think on the RHS under the black infill.
yup if the positive terminal is touching the frame then it will send the whole system live.
Old 10-07-18, 01:01 PM   #28
Bibio
Mega Poster

ooohhh and remember that everything is "live" yes even negative (ground) will show voltage when a switch is switched on.
Old 10-07-18, 07:18 PM   #29
BigTon

Thank you all so much for you time and patience. I finally found the problem!!!
Something I should have checked ages ago going by the symptoms of no power to the fuse box.
Anyone like to guess before I tell?

Old 10-07-18, 07:23 PM   #30
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Battery connection?
garynortheast is online now   Reply With Quote