SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-07-18, 05:11 AM   #1
mnikodemus

Default Throttle Valve Seizing

Hey Guys,

I have an 04 2nd gen bike. Tried to start it a few months ago, but it had a completely seized twist throttle. Got around to investigate the issue- removed the throttle tube, checked the cables, removed the air box.

The throttle body linkage itself (which connects the throttle valves of both cylinders) is hard to actuate. I worked it open and closed several times, and it helped a little. It’s still too hard to open with the cable though.

Anybody have any ideas?

It was running a couple months earlier, I just let it idle to charge the battery.

I also found a large rodent nest on top of the air filter in the air box. Full of insulation. I didn’t see anything on the other side though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-18, 06:50 AM   #2
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: Throttle Valve Seizing

Hose all the pivot points on both throttle bodies with WD40, leave alone for a few house, hose them again, then try moving them and see if they've freed up. It's likely to be a buildup of road crud that's caused them to stick.

Make sure they move freely before trying to ride the bike though, you don't want the throttle sticking open when you're on the road.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-18, 10:29 PM   #3
mnikodemus

Thanks Craig! Hosed everything down with WD40 today. It’s operating better, but still sticks at WOT sometimes.

I’ll let it sit overnight, see how it is tomorrow.

I’m thinking maybe I should just go ahead and replace the throttle cables, since I already have most of it apart...

Old 06-07-18, 06:47 AM   #4
Craig380
Mega Poster

Probably a good idea to do that while it's an easy job. Just in case the cables are stiff / sticky
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-18, 03:56 AM   #5
mnikodemus

Ended up spraying another dose of WD40 on, it is working fine now. No more sticking! Bought one of the WD40 cans with the flex straw- if it sticks again in the future I can reach it without having to take everything apart again.

Old 08-07-18, 05:29 PM   #6
tom_e

Put some proper lubricant on it now you've cleaned it with WD40, even just some light oil will be better than nothing.
tom_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-18, 06:14 PM   #7
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_e View Post
Put some proper lubricant on it now you've cleaned it with WD40, even just some light oil will be better than nothing.
+1

Original WD40 makes a good degreaser, cleaner and water dispersing, but it is not a lubricant (although WD do now make lubricants). It dries to a gummy lacquer that attracts dirt. Put some PTFE ( Teflon ) containing lubricant on throttle now, I used 3 in 1 advanced PTFE oil on a padlock on our side gate about 5 years ago and it has been perfect ever since despite being out in all weathers.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-18, 12:14 AM   #8
mnikodemus

Yeah agreed that the original WD40 is a terrible lubricant. I just used some wax-based chain lube, it’s all I had.