SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-07-05, 04:52 PM   #1
lawsoc

Default New Kawasaki ER-6n

Has anyone seen this yet:
http://www.kawasaki.co.uk/content.as...E0&PId=6549116

Its out in Oct am thinking of swapping my svs for one, love the funky look and its low seat height which is what us girlies need ? think the silver looks best with the red. Why isn't it out Now !!

Claitre..
Old 30-07-05, 05:10 PM   #2
Wiltshire7

saw that in bike mag and also someone posted about em here too.

No one seems to know what to make of them yet, unsure what type of ride its actually gonna be. It looks pretty cool in my eyes but i know not everyone agrees.

And as its called ER rather than ZX id expect it to be a new rider friendly machine, cooler lookin than a ER5 yet easy to ride.

thats my guess anyway
Old 30-07-05, 05:13 PM   #3
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiltshire7
And as its called ER rather than ZX id expect it to be a new rider friendly machine, cooler lookin than a ER5 yet easy to ride.

thats my guess anyway
Seems to be a fair summary of what the magazines reckon; there are articles/ride reports in Ride and TWO this month, I think.

I wouldn't swap an SV for one, though.
Old 30-07-05, 06:00 PM   #4
Professor

Default Re: New Kawasaki ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsoc
love ... its low seat height which is what us girlies need ?
I wouldn't call 785 mm particularly low.
Old 30-07-05, 06:53 PM   #5
SVeeedy Gonzales

Even if the ER6 were £3000 brand new, I wouldn't buy it over the SV when they're going for £4000 brand new right now.

It looks good, but a lot of it is in the looks... those big brake discs have small brakes acting on them, that rear shock doesn't use linkages like the SV does (I'm pretty sure of this) so the height is much less flexible...

I doubt it will outdo the SV on much, possibly fuel economy but nothing else. I can't imagine it being as fun as the SV.

It feels like Kawasaki have rushed this (and they have - they've slashed their time from drawing board to final model for this, all part of their new approach to making bikes) and rather than get it right first time, there are going to be problems with it. Even if I wanted one, I'd wait at least 2 years for all the new bike gremlins to have come out and for Kawasaki to have sorted out any problems...

Kawasaki seem to be going off lately - bringing back that weird KLE500 thing that nobody wanted a decade or two ago and they probably don't want now - "ooh, a £3500 BMW off-road bike... oh no, it isn't...", then the ZX10R - "so dangerous and scary most of you will never want one!" (even if it's not really that bad, that's the kind of line they were pushing when it came out ), then the Z750 which has been received badly for it's suspension/corrosion hassles... beyond the brilliant zx6r they don't seem to be that well of right now.
Old 30-07-05, 06:57 PM   #6
Wiltshire7

apparently the z750's r selling so well they have run out of black ones in the UK, and running short on the others.
Old 30-07-05, 07:00 PM   #7
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVeeedy Gonzales
Even if I wanted one, I'd wait at least 2 years for all the new bike gremlins to have come out and for Kawasaki to have sorted out any problems...
But it might be a good time to buy end of line ER5's now. I bet there
will be some excellent deals soon.
Old 30-07-05, 07:02 PM   #8
Cloggsy

For what is worth... I don't like the look of the ER6
Old 30-07-05, 07:07 PM   #9
SVeeedy Gonzales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiltshire7
apparently the z750's r selling so well they have run out of black ones in the UK, and running short on the others.
Really? George White in London (and several other places) are still trying to offload Z750 K4's - can pick them up for £3999 now. Thought of getting one but I'd rather have a 650 vtwin than a 750 four... especially with the extra insurance on the Z750.

As for the ER5's - there isn't any end of line stuff (though they are cheap now - can get them for around £2800 in some places) as they're not going to stop them - the ER6 will sit alongside them and not replace them.

ER5 has improved over the last few years - lot more stainless on there and more sporty and polished than the ones of just 3+ years ago. I'd have one again if I just wanted something simple and basic for commuting. But I want another SV commuting was never so much fun...
Old 30-07-05, 07:24 PM   #10
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVeeedy Gonzales
As for the ER5's - there isn't any end of line stuff (though they are cheap now - can get them for around £2800 in some places) as they're not going to stop them - the ER6 will sit alongside them and not replace them.
I stand corrected.

Still, a bit stupid of them to produce two apparently very similar bikes.

PS. I recently bought a Fab Sixties CD set and this led me to realise
the origins of the SVeeedy Gonzales screen name.