SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 17-06-20, 12:40 PM   #8271
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Can't the camera create jpegs? To hell with a camera that only produces proprietary files types.
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-20, 04:32 PM   #8272
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
Some of you may have noticed that despite me getting a new toy from Sony last week I have yet to post any pictures from it on here. Turns out there is a hidden cost of upgrading your camera.

If like me you stated out with the free software on the CD that came with your DSLR you probably wanted a few more options and looked at Lightroom. At the time I did so Adobe were just launching the Creative Cloud subscription service and being a tighwad I decided a cost of £120 per year every year was more than I wanted to pay for a hobby so I got the standalone Lightroom 6 for a one-off cost.

Fast forward to yesterday when I plugged the new Sony in and uploaded my shots to the home PC and fired up Lightroom. Cannot View Image, on all of my Sony shots. Back to the box and, ah, never realised but no software came with the camera. A leaflet tells me about their smartphone app but nothing more. Off to Google and LR6 is now discontinued and if I want to stay with Adobe I have no choice but to go with the £10/month subscription. So I looked at alternatives and I can get a CaptureOne Express for Sony, which is effectively what used to be in the box with the camera, for free. It's meant to be tipping it down with rain all day tomorrow so no faffing in the garden so I'll download it and see how I get on. Nobody mentioned any of this when I was researching which model to buy on those countless YouTube videos...
What file format does it save the photos as? is there not a setting in the camera to change this?

Are you connecting the camera directly to the PC? Looking online if you remove the memory card and plug it into a reader you should be able to access the files.

BMW F800ST

Last edited by DJ123; 17-06-20 at 04:36 PM.
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-20, 04:37 PM   #8273
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
Can't the camera create jpegs? To hell with a camera that only produces proprietary files types.
Yes it can, but I shoot raw, as a highly entertaining lunatic has on his t-shirts on YouTube.

It rained today as well so I had go at the software earlier than expected. With the exception of some things like adding graduated filters, brush edits (dodge and burn as we used to call it), split toning... Capture One Express for Sony does everything I want to so I'm happy again. Turns out this version was developed with Sony (they did the same with Fuji) to replace the in-box software, but it's just not exactly advertised very well.

First of the uploads now in the Photo a Day thread and my frown is now upside down.
Old 19-06-20, 05:11 PM   #8274
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

I'm on a roll with the gripes.

I had to cough up £30 for a new left-hand twist-grip for my ageing Raleigh at the start of the week. I have gear ratios again now so that's nice. But riding about today the saddle clamp disintegrated, allowing the seat angle to rotate up and down as my weight shifted. So uncomfortable. The splines are so worn I cannot get the bolt tight enough to prevent this so a new post is now on order. Cannot go to Halfrauds to get one as they don't have any stock of the slightly odd 25.4mm size and my local indie bike shop only has gold-plated parts at mental prices. Thank goodness for Tredz and mail order.
Old 19-06-20, 06:04 PM   #8275
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
I'm on a roll with the gripes.

I had to cough up £30 for a new left-hand twist-grip for my ageing Raleigh at the start of the week. I have gear ratios again now so that's nice. But riding about today the saddle clamp disintegrated, allowing the seat angle to rotate up and down as my weight shifted. So uncomfortable. The splines are so worn I cannot get the bolt tight enough to prevent this so a new post is now on order. Cannot go to Halfrauds to get one as they don't have any stock of the slightly odd 25.4mm size and my local indie bike shop only has gold-plated parts at mental prices. Thank goodness for Tredz and mail order.

This is one of the most annoying things! I had a faulty clamp for months thinking I'd just live with it but evrerytime I rode the bike I vowed to change it before the next ride
Old 20-06-20, 06:25 PM   #8276
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

The roll continues.

World of Triumph this time. Stopped off at the Norfolk Triumph branch of Lings today on the way home from seeing ma and pa this afternoon hoping to pick up a new indicator lens for Hugh. Parts are closed on a Saturday. Why? They gave me the part number and pointed me to their website which I've just been on. I was astonished when I was filling in the shipping part of the order that there was an option for adding a tip! Really?? I don't mind tipping an excellent server who made a meal or night out enjoyable but a faceless website that just mechanically processes your order??? Absolutely crackers!!!!!
Old 20-06-20, 06:37 PM   #8277
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
The roll continues.

World of Triumph this time. Stopped off at the Norfolk Triumph branch of Lings today on the way home from seeing ma and pa this afternoon hoping to pick up a new indicator lens for Hugh. Parts are closed on a Saturday. Why? They gave me the part number and pointed me to their website which I've just been on. I was astonished when I was filling in the shipping part of the order that there was an option for adding a tip! Really?? I don't mind tipping an excellent server who made a meal or night out enjoyable but a faceless website that just mechanically processes your order??? Absolutely crackers!!!!!
Closing on a Saturday is odd in this day and age. I thought Shrewsbury was the only place stuck in the past

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 22-06-20, 05:56 PM   #8278
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Shattered! Had to drive down to south of Tenbury Wells today, a round trip of just over 120 miles. That’s the furthest I’ve driven for several months. It wasn’t a particularly stressful drive and the scenery along the Marches is glorious, but it’s left me completely wiped out.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-20, 07:04 PM   #8279
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Chasing a Yodel delivery. Their van turned up outside the shop I work at on Saturday morning. Two guys rooted around in the back of the van, kept coming out looking confused. I finished dealing with a customer and turned around and the van had gone. No note left, nothing. Marked later that day that consignee could not be found. The website instructed me to go to the depot to collect on Monday as it wouldn't be redelivered. So I made the 40 minute journey there today. No sign of it at the depot. They searched for half an hour. It hasn't been rescanned anywhere since Saturday. The receptoion at the depot thinks it's still on the van and was meant to call me when they managed to contact the driver. No phone call all day.

So a couple of hours wasted and fuel for the journey too. I had better things to do with my day off.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-20, 09:02 PM   #8280
munkygunn182

Quote:
The roll continues.

I ordered from them night before last and spotted the tip thing. What are they thinking!?

I'll give them a tip: Try actually having stock of the parts you offer for sale.