SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-08-20, 05:41 PM   #21
DamoK4

Default Re: Fork laquering

Ive got some gt85, it’s good stuff. Going to give it a good dose of ACF 50 while it’s stripped down a bit too. I’ve lacquered the forks is it still beneficial to polish it? Borrowed a 2t low profile car jack off a lad at work for tomorrow so I can fit the shock. I think I need to trim the battery box off a little to fit it in. I have just found a photo guide on here and it looks very easy to do. Will take me longer to tension my chain and align my rear wheel afterwards than fit it by the looks of it . My mate at work still hasn’t made me my spacers. Going to have to get my hands dirty tomorrow

Last edited by DamoK4; 05-08-20 at 05:24 AM.
DamoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-20, 05:46 PM   #22
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamoK4 View Post
Ive got some gt85, it’s good stuff. Going to give it a good dose of ACF 50 while I’ts stripped down a bit too. I’ve lacquered the forks is it still beneficial to polish it? Borrowed a 2t low profile car jack off a lad at work for tomorrow so I can fit the shock. I think I need to trim the battery box off a little to fit it in. I have just found a photo guide on here and it looks very easy to do. Will take me longer to tension my chain and align my rear wheel afterwards than fit it by the looks of it . My mate at work still hasn’t made me my spacers. Going to have to get my hands dirty tomorrow
It's the Lacquer I'm taking about as you said earlier it's Acrylic. Acrylic paint is one of the softest paints made even after it's cured and can benefit from compounding compression

Note:

Acrylic paint is very susceptible to chemical damage from fuel/brake fluid/Carb-Brake cleaner e.g most solvents but light damage can be compounded out etc.

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 04-08-20 at 05:52 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-20, 09:40 PM   #23
glang

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamoK4 View Post
Ive got some gt85, it’s good stuff. Going to give it a good dose of ACF 50 while I’ts stripped down a bit too. I’ve lacquered the forks is it still beneficial to polish it? Borrowed a 2t low profile car jack off a lad at work for tomorrow so I can fit the shock. I think I need to trim the battery box off a little to fit it in. I have just found a photo guide on here and it looks very easy to do. Will take me longer to tension my chain and align my rear wheel afterwards than fit it by the looks of it . My mate at work still hasn’t made me my spacers. Going to have to get my hands dirty tomorrow
Great, let us know how it goes...
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-20, 10:06 PM   #24
timwilky
Mega Poster

Not a painter, but brought up with coach paint and the cellulose. I have only used 2 pack with a clear coat which was always considered not for amateurs as an air fed mask was highly recommended on pain of death.

Hard finishes need a good key as more likely to brittle chip. But done properly are far more durable.

I know you have done your forks. so not appropriate but.

Safety first. read and understand instructions.
Use a decent gun, understand you mix, pressures, flow. Proper water seperation and don't use lines that have has had an oiler I have lines with different fittings to ensure this.
Workshop and workpiece temperatures.
Cleanliness. Gun, mixing cups, panel wipe, tack rags etc,
Beware of reactions between different coats.
prep, prep and prep, base, W&D, base, W&D, final base, compound, lacquer,, scrub, lacquer polish. the best body shops I have worked with (Probably 10 where I learned panel beating, rolling, shrinking, leading etc over 40 years ago and kept in contact with) pay well but rework is at the painters own cost. So they save money by investing the upfront work.
Old 05-08-20, 05:28 AM   #25
DamoK4

Looks like you know a lot about paint. I know a good body shop guy who did my side fairings recently, they are amazing. Just trying to cut costs/learn as I go along.

I’ll keep you guys posted, I’ll hopefully have the rear shock in today depending on the wife, I’ve spent the last few days in the garage I might have to show my face for a bit
Old 05-08-20, 05:51 AM   #26
DamoK4

Do you think aluminium will be ok as a fork spacer? We have 32mm ally hollow bar at work I can cut up to save machining some. There’s no weird reactions or anything is there? It has about a 3.5mm wall thickness so will be strong
Old 05-08-20, 06:35 AM   #27
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

People often use plastic plumbing pipe.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-20, 09:10 AM   #28
DamoK4

I’ve got some but my saw won’t cut it straight. I work in engineering so I thought I’d just make something today out of spare bar we have
Old 05-08-20, 04:13 PM   #29
DamoK4

Machined some out of ally. Bored it out with a thicker wall thickness as I was worried about the strength with the original steel one being so thin. Still only a tad thicker than the pvc. 35x55mm with a 29mm bore. Should do the trick. Just got the car jack home so might get a go at the rear shock tonight and do the forks tomorrow
Old 06-08-20, 05:23 PM   #30
DamoK4

It’s going back together now. 94mm air gap if I am correct. Do your forks go flush with the top yoke? Mine had a 5mm protrusion before I took them off. Also, my new shock is 2mm longer shall I raise it a bit?