SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 08-10-07, 09:18 PM   #1
northwind
Mega Poster

Default That went well... Shall we try something bigger?

Last year I muttered some stuff about how we should have another big ride and get as many people up as poss... We've had the irish over, the essex boys up a few times, and there's always loads of enthusiasm from the soho massive and at the AR- so I reckon we should plan ourselves a big one, push the boat out a little. Find a campsite or caravan site somewhere that'll cater to a large group and let us spread out a little... (Callendar? Lochearnhead? Kinlochleven would be golden but it's probably too far up)

We've talked about doing this before but never actually pulled it off- the Irish and essex run we did a couple of years ago was superb, but I'm sure we can do better, it could make for a fantastic weekend... And I've got this image in my head of a bonfire on the shore of a loch somewhere, and Jimmy turning up with an artic overloaded with beer and burgers

What do you reckon? This is just sounding out more than anything else, ideas for location is probably what's needed most- it has to be far enough north to be interesting but not so far that everyone bottles out of coming up. I'd love to make it Kinlochleven, there's a perfect campsite by the endrace with a bunkhouse and everything, it couldn't be better, but it's a long run for most. If we've got people coming this far we'd have to make the riding good, the Glencoe loop with the duke's pass, wibbly wobbly and new favourite the B863 is a fantastic one-day run so it makes sense to make that a main event, maybe with a secondary run, make it a long weekend...

But ideally we need a place where we can make a racket without getting in trouble so a small campsite we can totally take over would be the ideal, a place that can deal with say 30 people (a wild guess)... Or caravan park would be just as good, or chalets, or even a hotel.

So... Anyone?
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-07, 01:33 AM   #2
Tiger 55

Default Re: That went well... Shall we try something bigger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
Anyone?
Yes, I'm, in.

Oh, you want suggestions... Get back to you, prawns are burning...
Old 09-10-07, 06:58 AM   #3
kitkat

sounds good. maybe may time as we usually have the best weather then. there are also a few holiday weekends in may.
Old 09-10-07, 08:41 AM   #4
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Quote:
the Irish and essex run we did a couple of years ago was superb, but I'm sure we can do better, it could make for a fantastic weekend...

Twas indeed a good one
Old 09-10-07, 02:56 PM   #5
-Ralph-

I often use the campsite at Inverarnan, and there is a hotel opposite the Drovers Inn for those adverse to camping. Then try to book out the wee room on the right at the drovers inn for the evening. It's only an hour off the top of the M74 for southerners with M6/M74 sore ar$e syndrome, and could easily arrange rideouts further north in any direction being 10 minutes south of Crianlarich.
Old 09-10-07, 03:21 PM   #6
independentphoto

Quote:
And I've got this image in my head of a bonfire on the shore of a loch somewhere, and Hector Brocklebank turning up with an artic overloaded with beer and fash

There always needs to be a tale (or tail!) to tell eh mate?

Garry
Old 09-10-07, 04:07 PM   #7
Quedos

Quote:
Originally Posted by independentphoto View Post
There always needs to be a tale (or tail!) to tell eh mate?

Garry
Think that went over everyones head!!

I'm up for helping out Northy though I think we will need to have a meeting in a pub somewhere to discuss further ideas. I'm assuming camp in the borders and ride out from there or do you fancy camp central then up north for rideouts. You gotta do the A68 at speed for a rideout!!
Old 09-10-07, 04:56 PM   #8
stewie

Id be well up for that, anywhere in the glencoe/kinlochleven/ballachulish area would suit me fine would go with the flow though, just be nice to come and visit y,all for a weekend
Old 09-10-07, 05:22 PM   #9
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
I often use the campsite at Inverarnan, and there is a hotel opposite the Drovers Inn for those adverse to camping. Then try to book out the wee room on the right at the drovers inn for the evening. It's only an hour off the top of the M74 for southerners with M6/M74 sore ar$e syndrome, and could easily arrange rideouts further north in any direction being 10 minutes south of Crianlarich.
You know... That looks pretty much ideal. Where is the Drover's Inn anyway, I've never actually been there (the last time I tried I ended up at Jim's house instead )
Old 09-10-07, 05:25 PM   #10
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quedos View Post
Think that went over everyones head!!

I'm up for helping out Northy though I think we will need to have a meeting in a pub somewhere to discuss further ideas. I'm assuming camp in the borders and ride out from there or do you fancy camp central then up north for rideouts. You gotta do the A68 at speed for a rideout!!
The pub you say? How novel Personally I reckon camp as far up as is sensible, really open the options out, but the further north we are the less likely girly englishmen (and manly englishgirls) will be to want to come.