SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-01-13, 10:14 AM   #1
Brettus

Default Best battery for all weather pointy?

I think my battery finally needs to be retired, it's had a decent run of 6 years, used through most winters but the last two it's had some periods where it has been allowed to run flat and I've then charged it and put it back in but it isn't the same, it runs flat quicker now so I think I should replace it.

What is the best option? I know there were some lighter ones about, I just need the best durability wise (electrically speaking, I don't kick the battery around the shed and such.

Suggestions? vendors? all appreciated.
Thanks
K6 SV650S Sport: GSXR 1000 front end, Penske shock, F.Fabbri DB clear screen, colour matched hugger, Corbin riders seat, Evotech tail tidy, Akrapovic full system, Twin 55w HID lights, Givi rack and..... the biggest top box known to man
Quote:
"Well I've met God and he had nothing to say to me"
Brettus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-13, 10:25 AM   #2
Mega Poster

Default Re: Best battery for all weather pointy?

I have the Yuasa model specific for our bikes...I've had it in since July-ish time last year and it's not missed a beat even in freezing temps first thing in the morning. I use the bike everyday monday to friday and sometimes at weekends
650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-13, 11:39 AM   #3
cb1000rsteve

2nd for the Yuasa battery. I had one on my old 650 SLR single and it never missed a beat through 2 winters that i had it before the SV.
Old 11-01-13, 11:52 AM   #4
Mega Poster

There's a possibility I might be selling mine as I might be going for a smaller one due to some modifications I'm planning on making, but it won't be for a few months. I think I paid £60 for it...can't remember. Do remember whincing when he told me the prince though haha
Old 11-01-13, 11:59 AM   #5
M65

Yuasa TYX12-BS
Old 11-01-13, 12:06 PM   #6
Dicky Ticker

Buy a compatible battery to the output of the alternator.To big or to small will affect the cranking output and charge rates
Old 11-01-13, 12:15 PM   #7
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicky Ticker View Post
Buy a compatible battery to the output of the alternator.To big or to small will affect the cranking output and charge rates
Aye, having to do some research for this. Need something smaller as I'm changing the subframe to something custom or a Ducati 1198 one. So need a small form factor battery to keep things lookin' pretty
Old 18-01-13, 11:25 AM   #8
85jas

I put a Motobatt battery in my curvy 18 months ago and it's as good as new, even after a month in the cold. It's also got 2 sets of terminals on it making accessory attachment neater - bike electrics on one set of terminals, Bibio's relay'd splitter box thingy on the other. And, apparently, Motobatt customer service is the mutt's nuts, not that I've had experience.

But in any case, get any branded AGM (absorbed glass matt) battery. But DON'T LEAVE THEM ON TRICKLE CHARGE!!

EDIT: Here's the "Texas Toast Battery Cook Off", worth a look. The "Texas Toast Tombstone Turnover Test" (lol) appears to be the most relevant to hardcore cranking ability, Linky. Motobatt wins hands down.

Last edited by 85jas; 18-01-13 at 11:58 AM.