SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-01-10, 10:42 PM   #1
nickodemon

Question sv 650 smart tre

Hi, i saw this simple resistor on ebay and was wondering if anyone had fitted one to an sv650sk4 and if this helped throttle response below 4000rpm. The other types of smart tre that you can buy on ebay are basically the same thing for more money. This resistor is a timing retarder eliminator, which is supposed to advance the ignition in the first 4 gears, because standard the bikes ignition timing was retarded to pass emission laws.The guy selling them has sold several for 0.99p Any good or rubbish? Smart TRE for Suzuki SV1000, SV650, [ TL1000 ? ]

Last edited by nickodemon; 05-01-10 at 11:01 PM.
Old 05-01-10, 11:09 PM   #2
Holdup

Default Re: sv 650 smart tre

You have just started an epic thread

p.s. the answers no
Old 06-01-10, 12:17 PM   #3
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

better value than the usual TRE's!

Anyway no there's no point on the 650
Old 06-01-10, 04:20 PM   #4
Alpinestarhero

I would wager that this would most definatly work. I have heard a few people trying this and unleashing another 20 bhp and 40 lbft torque INSTANTLY

on the other hand

no it dosnt work, the SV has only 70 bhp anyway, so if it has any restriction in the lower gears it wont be by much and you wouldnt notice a thing.

You can smooth out the fueling and throttle response for a FI sv by: getting a power commander or similar product and having the mapping adjusted to iron out any dips in the power curve from the dyno, and also by having your throttle bodies synchronised and I beleive, at least on the earlier FI models, fiddling about with the Throttle Position Sensor (there is a thread on here about it).

It is possible to gain a relativly (!!) easy 10 bhp in an SV (giving you about 80) but your money is best spent on higher quality suspension parts, some upgraded brakes (or even just a brake service!) and time in the saddle.
Old 06-01-10, 04:27 PM   #5
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickodemon View Post
...because standard the bikes ignition timing was retarded to pass emission laws.
under 4000rpm and under half throttle. Both have to be true for the ignition to be retarded. This isn't an area where most SV riders spend much time, and certainly not somewhere where I would want performance. The TRE doesn't improve the snatchy throttle much either.

I thought it was retarded for noise regulations rather than emissions. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 06-01-10, 04:29 PM   #6
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post
I thought it was retarded for noise regulations rather than emissions. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
I think its for both things, probably initially for noise but now emmisions laws are becoming stricter
Old 06-01-10, 04:37 PM   #7
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinestarhero View Post
I think its for both things, probably initially for noise but now emmisions laws are becoming stricter
Don't know much about it, but I can't see how retarding the ignition reduces emissions? I'd have thought it would result in an incomplete burn.
Old 06-01-10, 05:36 PM   #8
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

It depends. Latest trend seems to be dumping loads of extra fuel in to soften the noise and adding a catalytic converter to get rid of the unburnt HCs.
Old 06-01-10, 08:20 PM   #9
nickodemon

I've read a few reports on it being for emissions or noise, but as yorkie chris states the advancing of the ignition supposedly richens the mixture which then reduces noise. I asked if it was worthwhile since they only cost 0.99p! And could be fitted in under half an hour. I have fitted ignition advancers to several of the bikes i have owned over the years and they have all had better bottom end and midrange, but i wasn't sure if there was much to gain from the sv 650. Thanks for all the helpful advice, Nick.
Old 06-01-10, 08:26 PM   #10
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Nonono! Ignition advance and mixture are completely unrelated. Though both affect power.

Like I say search for a post by sv650racer, apparently 4th is a richer map than 2nd or 3rd, which may hurt power.

An ignition advancer can be fitted (offset woodruff key on rotor), but the only people who've had proven gains with these are the people selling them. Other people use them backwards to retard the timing on very built motors.