SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-10-07, 08:08 PM   #1
hovis

Default rear paddock stand

do you need sombody to steady the front when lifting ?

i have no grabrail, & a bit worried it might fall, as i have not used it b4

or i guess i could strap the tyre to the bike and take to shop,anyone tried this?
Old 30-10-07, 08:15 PM   #2
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Default Re: rear paddock stand

no need for a second person, a grabrail helps but isn't a requirement. i hook the hooks over the bobbins while the bike is on the sidestand, once it's up you just put one hand on the paddock stand and it steadies itself
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-07, 08:18 PM   #3
AlanB

I always get my kids or the missus to hold the front end, there's no way I could stop it going over if I was just holding onto the grab rail. I don't have bobbins though, that could make a difference maybe. Still don't think I'd do it. The thought of it toppling over makes me wince just thinking about it.
Old 30-10-07, 09:04 PM   #4
hovis

i dont have bobbins

think i might strap tyre to bike
Old 30-10-07, 10:14 PM   #5
-Ralph-

I just use the grabrail and keep the side stand down, while making sure the paddock stand is engaged on the left hand side before levelling the bike with the grabrail and pushing the paddock stand down simultaneously until both sides are engaged and bike is level. Maintain pressure on the stand and let the bike settle still for a moment, then push down and lift the bike.

On the way back down, as soon as the bike is holding its own weight push left on the grabrail to tip it to the left and remove the paddock stand simultaneously, as the bike lowers onto the side stand pull backwards on the grab rail to ensure the sidestand is steady and it won't roll off forwards.

Take your time and don't panic or rush, and it's no bother.
Old 30-10-07, 10:56 PM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

I like to straighten mine up a little with a block under the sidestand, not quite vertical but fairly close. The straighter it is, the easier it is to get the stand right. I always say this, but if I could do it when I was still on crutches, and without putting any weight on my right leg, at a mighty 10 stone, then anyone can.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-07, 10:29 AM   #7
hovis

thanx all............

but i have just put the tyre on the bike, to go and get it fitted, i was very surprised how well i fits to the back of the bike, i recon it does not even need strapping down (i have done though), it does cover ½ my numberplate & a bit of my rear light, but it fits well
Old 31-10-07, 03:52 PM   #8
Ceri JC

I hold my bike upright with one hand and fit the paddock stand with the other. It's easier with a grabrail on the bike, but I've done it without. It doesn't require much strength; like using a centrestand, it's more about technique than brute force.