SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-07-21, 02:00 PM   #9801
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
They did that in the peak district about 10 years ago, MAG ran a report that said it lead to no reduction in KSI rates (they may have changed by now, but how do you attribute it to the speedlimit and not other progressions in safety this far on). I spoke to (bike) cop and he said treat them the same as NSL.
That's the same as i treat them. Lots of roads i ride around the Surrey Hills and Oxfordshire got reduced speed limits after the Olympics/Tour De France came through the area. There is no more Cyclists than before, for which i think was the reason for the reduction in the limit.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-21, 02:11 PM   #9802
Bibio
Mega Poster

the reduction in speed limits is not about safety its about bringing in electric vehicles. the slower they go the further they go so less charging. its also kinder to the road surface so less works will need done. think about it.. most cars are around a ton in weight but leccy cars are about two ton.

also if the speed has been reduced just outside a town limit its an indication that building works will start there in a few years. thats whats happening around my neck of the woods.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-21, 03:00 PM   #9803
Ruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
Whilst I've been off riding because of pandemic and broken wrist - Lincolnshire council have dropped the speed limits on many of my favourite "A" roads from 60 to 50.
Warwickshire's been like this for years. I often came across roads where you'd be limited to 50 in Warwickshire but all of a sudden it became NSL but also same type of road - oh, we've crossed into Oxfordshire or Leicestershire!

Also, it was noticeable that many of the narrower, windier but minor roads remained as NSL but the 'main' roads were the ones that were reduced. As a 2-wheeler (cyclist or motorcyclist) the hazards were obviously worse for an individual but I guess the volumes of traffic are what they were paying attention to.

Hard to buy in to road safety argument when it's so arbitrary.

What annoys me now is that lots of numptys are so psychologically programmed that they can't seem to manage above 50 on clear NSL stretches that remain.
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-21, 03:39 PM   #9804
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
Whilst I've been off riding because of pandemic and broken wrist - Lincolnshire council have dropped the speed limits on many of my favourite "A" roads from 60 to 50.
barstards. thin end of the wedge. they'll be trying to put a 50 mph limit on all country roads next.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-21, 03:45 PM   #9805
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
I had this conversation with someone, it's because she led the government at the time and the government found it a convenient solution to first nation people. Very much doubt she knew what was happening and sanctioned it but hey ho.
There seems to be a lot of requests for apologies for historical events ,usually expecting England to apologise of course !!!
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-21, 01:43 PM   #9806
shiftin_gear98

Today could be about to suck.
My youngest has just been sent home from school with a temperature and told she needs a PCR test.
My wife is taking her now.
I really hope it's negative. My middle son is supposed to be going on his year 7 residential next week.
I'll be gutted for him if he has to miss it.

I'd happily have 10 days off work. But I'd rather not for his sake.
Old 08-07-21, 02:25 PM   #9807
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftin_gear98 View Post
Today could be about to suck.
My youngest has just been sent home from school with a temperature and told she needs a PCR test.
My wife is taking her now.
I really hope it's negative. My middle son is supposed to be going on his year 7 residential next week.
I'll be gutted for him if he has to miss it.

I'd happily have 10 days off work. But I'd rather not for his sake.
My son contracted covid last Thursday. I took him to the test centre and the result came back positive. So 10 days in jail for us missing our daughters birthday and our anniversary meal. My wife and I took a postal PCR test on Monday and I've come back positive which came as no surprise as I've been feeling really rough despite being double jabbed so even longer in jail.

On the plus side my son, who's 23, is recovering well and it was no worse than regular flu although he's still a bit breathless. He was due to get his first jab on the day he fell ill.

In my case it's just like a bad cold, runny nose, streaming eyes and a slight temperature, nothing some paracetamol couldn't fix. I hate to think what it could have been like without the vaccination.

Best of luck to you and yours. I dread to think what's it's going to be like after the 19th.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Last edited by admin; 08-07-21 at 02:44 PM.
admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-21, 02:38 PM   #9808
shiftin_gear98

Missing your daughters wedding, that sucks big time.
I hope you all recover quickly.
Old 08-07-21, 02:44 PM   #9809
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftin_gear98 View Post
Missing your daughters wedding, that sucks big time.
I hope you all recover quickly.
Typo. Meant to say birthday. Clearly my brain has been affected too.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-21, 05:36 PM   #9810
DJ123
Mega Poster

Getting an eBay order cancelled at 4pm, after i placed it yesterday, telling me they have no stock. By which point no other places are able to ship because as they've already had the couriers come & go.

That's properly stuck in a spanner in my weekend plans, unless Royal Mail are actually delivering properly again . . . .

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote