SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 20-08-21, 09:58 PM   #9951
svenrico

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethariel View Post
Varifocals for me anyway work great, except for long VDU sessions, tend to use dedicated glasses for that these days.

Though the price is stupid to be honest 700 - 800 quid every couple of years hurts!
Yes, I don't know where opticians get their prices from .
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-21, 03:05 PM   #9952
Bibio
Mega Poster

lighting industry..........

ES fitting LED lamps are the norm from most shops these days in fact you cant even buy BC from ikea.

do places like toolstation and screwfix sell the ceiling fittings... NO

WTF is going on in this country.........
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-21, 08:28 PM   #9953
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Filled up the Street Triple on the way to the MOT today and as it's not run properly for a couple of months decided to treat it to some premium. Filled up then realised I was paying £1.50 per litre! Then looked at the fuel rating and saw it was E5. Premium E5? The other pump said E10 so guessed the E10 must be rolling out already. Commented on it when I went to pay and they replied that their first E10 delivery hadn't arrived yet and would be later in the week. So I asked what was was in the pump marked E10. Apparentlyt it's still E5. So I asked what is in the E5 pumps. It's E5 too. So I paid out £1.50 per litre for something I could have got out of the pump next to it for £1.36 a litre. They didn't seem to understand my annoyance and just commented "well you got E5 which is what you paid for".
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-21, 08:31 PM   #9954
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Filled up the Street Triple on the way to the MOT today and as it's not run properly for a couple of months decided to treat it to some premium. Filled up then realised I was paying £1.50 per litre! Then looked at the fuel rating and saw it was E5. Premium E5? The other pump said E10 so guessed the E10 must be rolling out already. Commented on it when I went to pay and they replied that their first E10 delivery hadn't arrived yet and would be later in the week. So I asked what was was in the pump marked E10. Apparentlyt it's still E5. So I asked what is in the E5 pumps. It's E5 too. So I paid out £1.50 per litre for something I could have got out of the pump next to it for £1.36 a litre. They didn't seem to understand my annoyance and just commented "well you got E5 which is what you paid for".
Report them to trading standards.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-21, 09:55 PM   #9955
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
it may be E5 but if its premium then it will be high octane E5.

why are people complaining about 5% and now/soon 10% ethanol is beyond me. you should be complaining about the content of benzene more than anything.

dont race cars and such like run on methanol? dont hear them complaining.

the only downside to ethanol in fuel is ever so slightly less MPG and lack of long term storage unless you use a stabiliser.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-21, 10:26 PM   #9956
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I'm not complaining about ethanol. Just that I would have bought the E10 (that was actually still E5 in the pump) for £1.36 a litre instead of the E5 that I bought at £1.50 per litre. Exactly the same fuel in both pumps. Two different prices.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-21, 10:37 PM   #9957
ethariel

Quote:

Personally Id be a cnut about it and drop a complaint to hell to the chain head office and trading standards about them misrepresenting what's for sale and effectively tricking you into paying a premium for what's readily available.
ethariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-21, 11:00 PM   #9958
Ruffy

Quote:
I get annoyed by this but from a different angle. "Super" is 97+RON whereas Regular is 95RON (technically 95-97RON is "Premium" in legislative terms). Ethanol content in the mix is separate consideration. You've still bought higher octane (better?) petrol even though it has same ethanol %age, so it can still reasonably command a higher price. That's what happened before the latest change in law. (Bear in mind E5 is up to 5% and E10 is up to 10% so E5 is also E10 by default. Also, 0% ethanol is still both E5 and E10!)

However, I don't need the higher octane. What I want is 95RON (that suits the engine design) but low ethanol. I'd pay a little more for it too, but surely it's reasonable to expect it to be cheaper than full "Super" prices, since it's 'lower quality' fuel? But it seems the legislators won't allow that. (Unfortunately the statute is made up of the original 1999 bill and many subsequent amendment bills so deciphering it to understand current law is challenging - I'm still trying to get my head around it but it seems that Premium 95RON now has to be minimum 5.5% ethanol ) So instead I guess we'll see the growth of many folk buying E5 97+RON (and maybe DIY extracting any ethanol to leave 95ishRON E0) or the growth of small volume suppliers exempt from the full Regs. Quite a faff either way.

Well, I suppose the sale of all the more expensive fuel will help with tax revenues!
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-21, 11:17 PM   #9959
Ruffy

Quote:
... decided to treat it to some premium. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
it may be E5 but if its premium then it will be high octane E5.
On terminology:
- From the Motor Fuel (Composition and Content) Regulations 1999, "'Petrol' has the same meaning as in Article 2(1) of the Directive" (referring to EU Directive 98/70/EC).
- From the Motor Fuel (Composition and Content) and Merchant Shipping (Prevention of Air Pollution from Ships) (Amendment) Regulations 2010, Reg 3(7), "...“super unleaded petrol” means petrol that has (a) a research octane number of not less than 97 measured in accordance with the test method specified in Annex I of the Directive ..."
- From the Motor Fuel (Composition and Content) and the Biofuel (Labelling) (Amendment) Regulations 2021, "...“premium 95 grade petrol” means petrol that has a research octane number of at least 95 but less than 97 ..."

So "Premium" unleaded is 'low' octane 95-97RON petrol, "Super" unleaded is 'high' octane 97+RON petrol
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-21, 12:27 AM   #9960
svenrico

Quote:
I had the same experience filling up the bike today, don't want E10 and don't need 97 octane petrol, but 95 octane was £1.37 a litre and E10, E5 was 97 octane at £1.50 a litre. So I filled up with E5 and reluctantly paid the extra.A rip off !
I am not convinced E10 isn't more likely to damage some components even if they say modern machines can run on it, and if you have to use more of it because fuel consumption is higher how good environmentally is that ?
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote