SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-09-18, 02:02 PM   #1551
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: The All new Reeder Megathread

the thing i dont get is that OT's starting wage is around £21k for band 5 and rises steeply at band 7 so you would expect to have people that know what they are doing but NO.. they are hired due to having a qualification not necessary in their field.

its like the healthcare professionals that are being employed to evaluate PIP candidates, they have no qualifications but due to them being given one day on the job training they can have a certificate to say they are.

there is no need to tell me about the waste of equipment. Mrs Bibs recently had a mattress riser fitted to her bed only for it to have been used for ermm 5min for her to say its no good. i'm still waiting for them to take it back off the bed. thing is we never even asked for it.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-18, 02:12 PM   #1552
Heorot

My experience is that most council workers came straight from school and stayed on, never having worked in the private sector and their only experience of working life was in the archaic working practices of the local authority. Jobs that came vacant were nearly all sourced from within the authority and there was no proper evaluation of the candidates knowledge and ability. If there were three useless candidates for a vacancy, the least useless was given the job. It was rare that any jobs other than the most basic were put out to external candidates. The main reason for these practices as I saw it was the stifling presence of the Unison union that all job vacancies that were filled had to pass their approval. It was just easier to promote internally than to get Unison to approve advertising for external candidates.

Middle managers were promoted based on their length of service rather than ability.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver

Last edited by Heorot; 07-09-18 at 02:19 PM.
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-18, 02:45 PM   #1553
Bibio
Mega Poster

yup nepotism springs to mind.

i personally dont like privatisation of public services via contract or otherwise and i fully believe that its responsible for the rising price of things today.

if authority's and the Gov hired the correct people like the private sector does then things would be run properly but instead of a private company/individual reaping the rewards and profits then the public would see it and be able to reinvest or lower the costs which in turn is lower taxation or redirection of funds for healthcare etc.etc, this was the whole idea of nationalisation in the first place but it was implemented wrong by greedy politicians with school tie buddies. utility companies are a perfect example. privatisation was supposed to give us more of a choice with lower prices and better services but its went the other way due to sheer greed.

how can a private individual making profit from what was once a nationalised company be any good for the public. it cant as the profits go into someone's pocket rather than the public coffers. what really really pizzes me off is the handouts associated with privatisation. its all a con (see what i did there).
Old 07-09-18, 04:07 PM   #1554
Heorot

Bibs,

it can work if properly implemented. There is a company called Norse that tenders to local authorities to take over their services on a joint ownership partnership. The way it works is that the authority produces a list of tasks, schedules etc. that it currently provides and Norse costs it out. I am familiar with Wellingborough Council and they have a joint company 80% Norse and 20% Council to provide all the town maintenance services previously provided directly by the council for less than was previously spent. Norse took on all the staff, pensions and plant as part of the deal.

One reason for this structure is that councils are not allowed to do non-council contracts but Norse, as a private company, can. So carrying out commercial waste collections outside of the borough can bring in additional profit which the council, as a 20% shareholder, benefits from.

This is how it works: http://www.ncsgrp.co.uk/news_wellingborough.htm

Naked SV650 K3 in Silver

Last edited by Heorot; 07-09-18 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-09-18, 04:52 PM   #1555
Bibio
Mega Poster

sounds great and looks ideal on paper but people are forgetting one thing, someone is making money from public funds no matter how much you try and look through rose tinted glasses.

it might work well to begin with and everything is fine and dandy till the private company has the local authority by the scrotum due to having all their staff at which point they start to increase costs. there is a name for this kind of tactic but i cant remember.

with proper management in place there should be no need for the private sector to be called in.

private sector = profits. its that simple. but so called expert individuals are still being swayed by sales pitches and back handers.

there is still animosity amongst the gentry about nationalisation due to taking what the public regarded as the peoples need e.g. hospitals and power companies who at one time run as private making profits for the already greedy rich.

people forget why companies were nationalised in the first place and who's money was used to do it. then along comes a government and sells what the public had already paid for via taxation. the gullible public being a greedy bunch thought that they were getting a deal so flooded to buy shares not realising that they already owned those shares.... yes thats how fekin thick and greedy the public are. now we all have to suffer with ever increasing costs of services.

PRIVATISATION DOES NOT WORK no matter how much you colour it.

how much are these shares worth now? fek all.
Old 07-09-18, 06:14 PM   #1556
SV650rules
Mega Poster

There was a 'Dispatches' or Horizon program earlier this year investigating local authorities and NHS paying private companies to prepare 'money saving/ efficiency' reports for them. It ran into 6 or 7 figures that these companies were being paid, and they were on a commission that the more 'savings' they could recommend the more they got paid, but it was rare for councils to implement the reports, it was just paperwork exercises. One of the consultants is on record as saying "getting money from government and local councils is easy, like taking candy from a baby, private companies are much harder to get money from"... says it all really, taxpayers money is there to waste with little oversight, there is always more where that came from. Local councils and government are lacking proper business organisation and practices... and they always cut the things people notice most, scandalous when some council leaders are paid two or three times more than prime minister.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-18, 07:37 PM   #1557
Heorot

As I implied in my earlier post, in my experience there is no chance of councils implementing proper business organisation and practices. There is an institutionised mindset that prevents it.

Bibio's quote "if authority's and the Gov hired the correct people like the private sector does then things would be run properly" is never going to happen. When they do hire senior people from outside the authority, it is always people who are from other parts of the public sector so nothing changes.

Occasionally, councillers will try to implement changes but it always seems to go wrong long term. An example is Northamptonshire County Council. Thirty years ago, they tried to clear out the dead wood in middle management by making them all redundant, reducing the positions by a third and redefining them and then allowing the redundant staff to apply for the new positions. So for every 3 jobs previously there were now 2. The useless staff remained redundant. The Council was revitalised and for a time was a byword for local authority efficiency. Looks like all the old bad habits returned over time and the council is now bankrupt through reckless spending.

Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Old 09-09-18, 07:46 PM   #1558
Bibio
Mega Poster

this guy keeps shouting on me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpcDORkAqos

was just youtubbin fly tying and came across it
Old 09-09-18, 09:10 PM   #1559
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
this guy keeps shouting on me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpcDORkAqos

was just youtubbin fly tying and came across it
You a secret TV star that we don't know about

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-18, 09:14 PM   #1560
munkygunn182

'Bibiosceptic'