SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-05-07, 02:07 PM   #1
New Leaf

Default Dirty Boy.

I looked at myself in the mirror before i left for work this morning, and was horrified to notice that my Frank Thomas textile jacket and trousers have turned a nasty shade of dirty grey.

At the start of the winter they gleamed with a brilliant blue and white sparkle, but now they look more ming than bling.

So i need to clean them. The lable says wipe down with a damp cloth, but that ain't gonna get em clean. So how do u guys clean your winter kit? Dare i put it in the washing machine? Also do you re-proof your waterproof textile kit after cleaning it? If so what do you use? Nikwax? or something else?

Old 11-05-07, 02:21 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: Dirty Boy.

If your going to put it in the washing machine, remove the armour and wash it on a cool wash 30 degrees. You'll need some Nixwax techwash to wash it in.

Alternatively take the armour out and then get some cheapo baby shampoo fill the bath with some luke warm water, dump your winter kit into it and then rub in the baby shampoo rinse and repeat till its clean.

You'll need a reproofer, again use the Nixwax stuff, you can either buy stuff that you put in the washing machine or you can buy the spray on stuff, either works well. If your using the machine stuff, once its done in the machine hang it somewhere warm i.e airing cupboard as the heat activates the rain proofer ingredient in the Nixwas

If you've used the bath method, hang it up so that most of the water drips out of it, then once its damp but not wringing wet, spray the Nixwax reproofer on, but I repeat but dont go mad if you spray it to much, you'll get white streaks on your jacket.

Again as with the washing machine method hang it up somewhere warm to dry as you need the heat to activate the reproofer.

Personally I prefer the bath method, I dont like the idea of my kit being span round in the washing machine oh and dont forget to refit the armour.

HTH

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote