SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-05-10, 12:49 PM   #1
rockster

Default Rear Brake Caliper - is it beyond redemption?

Hi all, would appreciate some advice.

Set off on the bike yesterday (K3 naked), and found that the rear brake is delivering zero stopping power. Thought I'd best check the pads in case I've got some ACF50 on them or something. Can't even get the plug that covers the pad pin off, never mind the pin itself.

So I went to remove the whole caliper for better access, but found that after I removed the bolt it's near impossible to pivot the caliper up on the other pin. Finally got it moving with the help of a breaker bar but there's no way it's going to come off the hanger. I've now dropped the rear wheel and removed the hanger and caliper together.

I was going to get stuck in with some plusgas and a heat source, but I'm now wondering if it's worth it, or is the caliper likely damaged beyond repair? I'm assuming that the caliper is supposed to slide along this pin in operation, so if it's stuck as tightly as this is there any chance of getting it moving freely enough, or is it most likely bent / deformed in some way?

Incidentally, I found that the pad nearest the wheel was down to the metal, although there's still plenty of wear on the piston-side pad. This seems strange, as I'd have thought that if the caliper isn't sliding properly on the front pin, then most likely the pad on the piston side would have worn first. Any ideas why this would be?

Thanks for any assistance,

Scott
Old 16-05-10, 07:21 PM   #2
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: Rear Brake Caliper - is it beyond redemption?

I think I'd probably find a decent second hand caliper and use that. Take the original one to bits at your leisure and see if you can get it sorted again.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-10, 08:06 PM   #3
Philbo

What Garry said for a quick turn round. Yours will probably be serviceable, but sounds like it will take some blood sweat and tears to get it nice n' clean and working again. You could always sell it once you've refurbished it...

Only thing about buying second hand is I'd want to service it myself anyway before using it; unless you're buying a refurbished one from a reputable source.
Old 16-05-10, 08:24 PM   #4
Miss_Undaztood

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockster View Post
Incidentally, I found that the pad nearest the wheel was down to the metal, although there's still plenty of wear on the piston-side pad. This seems strange, as I'd have thought that if the caliper isn't sliding properly on the front pin, then most likely the pad on the piston side would have worn first. Any ideas why this would be?
When you release the brake, the piston is free to move back, releasing the pressure on that pad. But if the caliper is stuck on the carrier pins, then the inner pad is always rubbing on the disc.
Old 16-05-10, 09:46 PM   #5
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Undaztood View Post
When you release the brake, the piston is free to move back, releasing the pressure on that pad. But if the caliper is stuck on the carrier pins, then the inner pad is always rubbing on the disc.
Yup. Common problem.

Your size 10 with a load of hydraulic advantage is stronger than whatever returning force there is in mechanism.
Old 16-05-10, 09:50 PM   #6
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo View Post
What Garry said for a quick turn round. Yours will probably be serviceable, but sounds like it will take some blood sweat and tears to get it nice n' clean and working again. You could always sell it once you've refurbished it...

Only thing about buying second hand is I'd want to service it myself anyway before using it; unless you're buying a refurbished one from a reputable source.
i would do it that way. Less aggro and resalable part (possibly) if you sort the other 1 out

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote