SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-06-06, 10:19 PM   #1
Ed

Default This is not justice

This bloke deserved a much longer prison term IMHO.

Failing to stop is despicable. I think that the mags should have committed the bloke to the Crown Court for sentence.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/5056804.stm

Old 07-06-06, 10:21 PM   #2
Speedy
Mega Poster

THAT IS BLOODY LUDICROUS!!!!!

What is wrong with the justice system in this country!!!!!????

Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-06, 10:30 PM   #3
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

jailed him for four months.

No way near long enough...
Old 07-06-06, 10:41 PM   #4
rob13

The CJS is too soft im afraid. Its the courts which dont dish out the sentences, the cops do all they can to charge them
Old 08-06-06, 08:59 PM   #5
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

this is really bad news. Yet another example of how bizzare the sentancing system is. And look at the case of those 2 sickos who raped that baby. They get a minimum sentance of a paltry 6yrs and when enough of the public makes a fauss to the powers that be and the case is reviewed the judges agree that the minimum was too short.

And raise it to 8yrs.

WTF goes on in this thinking process? Why are sentancing guidelines so out of touch with the crime they legislate for? Didnt one of those OAPs get a month inside for not paying her council tax.
So killing someone and attempting to evade justice is only 4x worse than not paying tax by that logic.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-06, 09:05 PM   #6
sharriso74

So Jeffrey Archer gets 18 months for telling a porky in a civil trial and you get 4 months for knocking someone of and leaving them hmmm

Ok he didn't mean to harm or kill that person but his actions resulted in the death of a person. When will people realise along with our rights also comes responsibility for our actions, There seems to be so much talk about what our rights are with no mention of our responsibilities as a citizen and for me most importantly as a human being sorry rant over
Old 08-06-06, 09:06 PM   #7
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Thats a pile of stinking donkey poo.

Apparently the police have discovered that the f*ckwit that knocked my mate over and then drove off leaving him dieing in the road was 2 1/2 times over the drink drive limit.

So he'll be getting a similarly light sentance then wont he

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-06, 09:07 PM   #8
Peter Henry

So despite the cyclist being hit hard enough for him to fly 15 feet in the air and die from his injuries, all that the driver has been charged with on this occasion it would appear is the non stopping offence.

You may read the article more carefully and learn that he was already found guilty of Driving with Undue care and attention which I feel sure also carried a sentence?

Notice he was not calculated as speeding or driving dangerously? Just not paying enough attention to the road.

In summary then his total penalty is in fact more that that stated for the latest judgement. It might not be as much as one might feel suitable but there you have it.
Old 08-06-06, 09:11 PM   #9
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Well personally I think to make him fly 15ft through the air the car driver must have hit him pretty hard. What I would think has happened is that the police didnt or couldnt find enough evidence to make a charge stand that would have got the car driver a longer prison spell so the CPS went for the lesser charge that they knew they could make stick.

Its still rubbish if you ask me though.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-06, 09:15 PM   #10
Peter Henry

Fizz...I have edited my post substantially after rechecking the article in question. The height the chap was thrown was obviously that of an eye witness but how accurate their judged height was is a tough call.

The poor chap hit a sign post which if it had not been there, he might well have survived. How many other accidents that in themselves would not have been as tragic, have occurred and the consequences heightened by the presence of road furnishings,signs,lamp posts etc?

Not defending the driver in any way here. But it would seem to me that the road in question might have been a national speed limit?