SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-08-05, 08:12 AM   #1
Skip
Mega Poster

Default My first trackday!

Well, what can I say... AWESOME is the first word I will use! Snetterton was the venue yesterday and having only passed my test 4 months ago I was very nervous about taking to the track on the SV, but being a petrol head and having done a couple of car days in the past I thought, well, why not! First session was just about learning what its like to ride around a circuit, did ok, passed a couple of really slow people (one of whom was on a Hairnet... ) and started to lean the bike further than I ever have before. Next session I was really starting to get into it and was keeping up with and passing the odd GSXR600 and CBR600 on the corners and just about keeping them at bay on the straights! Was scuffing my toe sliders like mad by lunchtime and had started to wear away the little nipple bit on the bottom of the footpegs! I could feel one of them dragging all the way around Sear corner! By the end of the day I was able to keep with my mate on his 1000cc Thunder Ace, purely because I was quicker on the nimble SV through the corners and although he monstered me on the straights, I was always there or there abouts, something he was not happy about! Hehe!

I cant believe how much I have learnt today about riding in general and also about how good the SV really is! It took 6x 20 minutes worth of total abuse all day and I rode it home like nothing had happened! Also I did the whole day on those apparently rubbish Metzeler Z4 tyres and although they have now been off the edge and are a bit boiled, they did not let me down or make me feel uneasy once!

So to sum up, more track days are a must! If anyone is thinking of doing one, stop thinking and just do it!!

Excuse the fashion disaster with the leathers, I had to borrow a friends one piece!

Picture is copyright of Focused Events Ltd.

Old 16-08-05, 08:17 AM   #2
exduker

Excellent!

My first participative track day* is coming up on 31st Aug at Silverstone!

Bricking it and can't wait for it in equal measure!

Now I just need to get around to fitting those R&Gs.......

*I attended one earlier in the year at Mallory with my bro-in-law (who was riding) just to see what the crack was.
Old 16-08-05, 08:21 AM   #3
Skip
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by exduker
Bricking it and can't wait for it in equal measure!
Sounds familiar! Just enjoy it mate, you will undoubtedly surprise yourself!
Old 16-08-05, 08:22 AM   #4
keithd

nice one centurion. when i passed my instructor advised me to do a track day whenever i could and go one in at the end of july. it is indeed an amazing experience. glad yours went well too, the old SV is a mightily underestimated machine by many, tis very nimble.
Old 16-08-05, 08:29 AM   #5
Ping

Excellent...

It's SUCH a rush..
Old 16-08-05, 03:20 PM   #6
Peter Henry

Skip...Nice one mate.looks like you did so well in your class,that you came first? you still have the winners flag stuck to you!
Old 16-08-05, 04:06 PM   #7
Skip
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Henry
Skip...Nice one mate.looks like you did so well in your class,that you came first? you still have the winners flag stuck to you!
Hehehe, yes I know the leathers are truly bad, but without them I wouldnt have been able to go!
Old 17-08-05, 04:30 PM   #8
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

Glad you had a fantastic day, and kept the black stuff down...
I've copyed the write up and emailed it to my dad.
, he said's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol
Hi Richie

Ta for sending on Scips email. Great photo and it looks like he's enjoying it. I've lost his email address. If you can send it to me I will drop him a line.

I'll get him to send you a PM...
Old 18-08-05, 06:10 PM   #9
lol

Default Trackday

Hi Skip
Glad you had fun Great photo. Keep the bike upright, no sliding. Notice you have fitted crash bungs!! Ride safe. Lol. AKA Richies Dad.
Old 19-08-05, 07:47 AM   #10
Skip
Mega Poster

Cheers Lol, hope you arent too sad that I have been hooning your old bike round a circuit! It performed so well though!

Yup, the only thing I have done to it since you sold it to me is to fit crash bungs (as yet and hopefully forever untested!!)