SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-08-07, 12:46 AM   #1
mosius

Default Mechanics of Clutch Adjustment

I've been looking through the clutch adjustment posts here and it mostly solved my problem, but I still had a few questions.

I just did the standard maintenance item to adjust my clutch and it changed the bite point of the clutch a whole lot. I'm used to (and like) having the clutch bit close to the handlebars. I feel like it gives me more control when I use it in turns. After the adjustment it now bites way near the top of the movement (way away from the handle bars). It also seems to to have a much shorter distance between fully disengaged and fully engaged.

So my questions are about how exactly all these adjustment points change things.

The adjuster bolts at the top (up near your hand) ... what are those controlling?

The adjuster bolts at the bottom of the chain. You have the two nuts (top and bottom) and I think the metal end of the cable there is adjustable too. Yeah? What's that changing?

And finally, the screw that has the lock nut on it, what's that adjust?

Basically I'm looking for some help on figuring how how I can control ...
1. Where the clutch bites
2. How much distance the clutch moves between fully engaged and disengaged
3. How much slack there is in the handle from when it's fully released until the cable started to pull.

Thanks for the help.
Old 27-08-07, 09:05 AM   #2
Alpinestarhero

Default Re: Mechanics of Clutch Adjustment

I believe they all adjust the cable, taking up any slack. I have the same problem; I prefer the clutch to "bite" closer to the handlebar, this is easier for my slow control - but a properly (i.e. handbook) adjusted clutch does give smoother gear-changes, and I suspect it also gives less drag on the clutch-plates, so more mechanically sympathetic?

The SV clutch isnt too heavy, i gues you can get away with using two fingers on it when riding slowly, to keep better control of the steering and the clutch when its all properly adjusted?

Matt
Old 27-08-07, 09:58 AM   #3
Blue_SV650S

1. Where the clutch bites - cable/leaver slack
2. How much distance the clutch moves between fully engaged and disengaged - angle of the dangle*
3. How much slack there is in the handle from when it's fully released until the cable started to pull. - cable/leaver slack

*The dangle is the little actuating leaver arm by the front sprocket. In the manual it tells you what angle this should be set at ... as the in and out movement on the worm gear (converts rotational movement into horizontal movement) has a direct relationship to this angle, it is the key to changing the ratio of leaver to clutch movement ... just think about the geometry of it ... if you want to change the properties, then change this angle ...
Old 27-08-07, 06:21 PM   #4
RandyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosius View Post
I've been looking through the clutch adjustment posts here and it mostly solved my problem, but I still had a few questions.

I just did the standard maintenance item to adjust my clutch and it changed the bite point of the clutch a whole lot. I'm used to (and like) having the clutch bit close to the handlebars. I feel like it gives me more control when I use it in turns. After the adjustment it now bites way near the top of the movement (way away from the handle bars). It also seems to to have a much shorter distance between fully disengaged and fully engaged.

So my questions are about how exactly all these adjustment points change things.

The adjuster bolts at the top (up near your hand) ... what are those controlling?

The adjuster bolts at the bottom of the chain. You have the two nuts (top and bottom) and I think the metal end of the cable there is adjustable too. Yeah? What's that changing?

And finally, the screw that has the lock nut on it, what's that adjust?

1. Where the clutch bites
2. How much distance the clutch moves between fully engaged and disengaged
3. How much slack there is in the handle from when it's fully released until the cable started to pull.

Thanks for the help.
the screw & locknut adjusts the clutch

the adjusters on each end of the cable adjust the cable
Old 27-08-07, 06:37 PM   #5
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
the screw & locknut adjusts the clutch

the adjusters on each end of the cable adjust the cable
That'll do for me.

Also the adjuster at the handlebar is for minor adjustment only. There is not a whole lot of adjustment there.

Adjust the clutch first, then when that is correct you can use the adjusters at the clutch end of the cable to determine where along the travel of the clutch lever, you get the clutch bite.