SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-04-12, 06:35 PM   #1
grimey121uk

Default Tesco Jewelry???

Does anyone have any reviews or advice about buying jewelry from Tesco, more specifically an engagement ring?

Basically me and the "ball n chain" have been together for over 8 years and I know shes desperate for us to get engaged however I'm on a tight budget.

I was looking at 18ct yellow gold with a 1/4 ct diamond which the going rate appears to be ~£600.
http://www.hsamuel.co.uk/webstore/d/...olitaire+ring/

However I have just seen this at Tesco direct
http://www.tesco.com/direct/18ct-gol...767&pageLevel=

And in all honesty the Tesco one looks nice and its more affordable but why is it almost half the price?
Is it because Tesco is Naff or simply that high street jewelers rip people off?

I suspect that high street jewelers have high profit margins?
Old 07-04-12, 06:42 PM   #2
600+

Default Re: Tesco Jewelry???

Assuming that the proper jewellers are not ripping you off then I can only say the difference is because of the quality of the diamond.

There is a shop in M'cr centre called Midas Jewellery which has very good prices and pieces. Check it out and congrats
Old 07-04-12, 06:42 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

nice ring (tesco). tesco have huge buying power and samuels is a bunch of robbing ****z.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-12, 06:42 PM   #4
shonadoll

High street jewellers more overheads. Another great place is ex ratners guy, Gerald online, great prices and nice presentation boxes.
Old 07-04-12, 06:57 PM   #5
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

How about something antique? It will be more original too. There are some beautiful art deco styles around which have intricate settings, often with wonderful Ceylon sapphires but because the stones are smaller they work out cheaper than a solitaire.

This is an example and almost identical to my engagement ring which I got from my nan. In the end hers was so fragile I had the front plate set into a wide white gold band as a combined wedding and engagement ring. But the settings from this era are lovely.

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/330688771592?var=lv<yp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var= sbar&cbt=y

And congratulations.

p.s. my wedding cost $75!

Last edited by Littlepeahead; 07-04-12 at 06:59 PM.
Littlepeahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-12, 07:01 PM   #6
grimey121uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
How about something antique? It will be more original too. There are some beautiful art deco styles around which have intricate settings, often with wonderful Ceylon sapphires but because the stones are smaller they work out cheaper than a solitaire.

This is an example and almost identical to my engagement ring which I got from my nan. In the end hers was so fragile I had the front plate set into a wide white gold band as a combined wedding and engagement ring. But the settings from this era are lovely.

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/330688771592?var=lv<yp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var= sbar&cbt=y

And congratulations.

p.s. my wedding cost $75!
Nice, however I don't think its a style she would really want. I know this because of the endless amount of jewelry brochures (with open pages) she has left around the house over the past few years
Old 07-04-12, 07:07 PM   #7
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Fair enough, it's something she'll wear every day forever so has to be an item she loves as much as the person who gives it to her.

Mr LPH got off lightly with getting a family ring and and $75 wedding. So I stung him for a brilliant cut colour change sapphire pendant in Sri Lanka a year later for our first anniversary.
Old 07-04-12, 07:10 PM   #8
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

This is an interesting idea too - recycled diamonds.

http://www.hkjewellery.co.uk/details...e/ring/id/3269

This is the jeweller I used when I designed my wedding ring with her, and she also made another amethyst ring for me which was a gift from my colleagues when I left my previous job.
Old 07-04-12, 07:59 PM   #9
grimey121uk

Probably a noob question but...
would the Tesco one come in a presentation box?
Old 07-04-12, 08:02 PM   #10
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Well if it doesn't how about you get all creative/romantic. Just don't let her accidentally swallow it if you put in anything edible or drinkable!