SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-01-05, 11:18 AM   #1
Aaron

Default Battery/Starting problem - new battery hasnt fixed it!

Hi guys

Thanks for all your help before when I had a problem with starting my 01 SVS. If it was left for more than 2 days without being used then it wouldnt start again. It would only let me have about 2 attempts at turning the engine over before it would go dead flat and just click. So I bought a new battery, charged it up, put it on and its been fine for the last few weeks. I went away this weekend, so havent used the bike since Friday, and this morning (Monday) it wouldnt start. It was pretty cold as there were ice droplets on the bike cover, but surely it should have started with a brand new battery after being sat idle for only two days?!!!

Please help - it takes me 2 hours to get to work on the train compared to 30 minutes by bike, I want it working again! It does have an alarm on, but it was marketed as being a low current drain, surely it wouldnt be enough to discharge my battery after a single weekend?
Old 24-01-05, 11:27 AM   #2
mysteryjimbo

Bad Plugs?
Need an oil change? (Aged, cold oil is thicker)
Dodgy alarm connection?
Do you leave your lights switched on when you're starting? (Out of habit mine are always on)

Batterys also have a lower ampage when they're cold.

So it could be any combination of things.
Old 24-01-05, 11:34 AM   #3
Aaron

Thanks for the reply - I had new plugs and oil put in on a service only a couple of months ago. I also make sure I have the lights turned off when I start the bike as I have had the battery problem before.

The only thing that keaves on your list of potentials is the dodgy alarm connection......anyone know how i can check it?!
Old 24-01-05, 12:21 PM   #4
Philbo

How far do you ride the bike? If all you do is short 5 minute journeys then the battery isn't getting enough charge to compensate for the energy consumed when starting the bike. It won't take long to drain the battery under these conditions.

Is the alarm new? If so and you didn't have the problem before...it's the alarm. If you can live without the alarm for a while, and the alarm will let you, try disconnecting one of the battery terminals when your bike is out of use. If it the problem disappears then you have a current leakage issue, probably the alarm!

The only way to check is to test each cable leaving your fuse box and positive battery terminal. You should find a small current reading of a few milli amps on your alarm circuit, (manufacturers data sheet should give exact figures), and nothing in the other circuits...well there might be a negligable reading in the clock circuit.

OR your battery might not be getting a proper charge due to a fault in the charging circuit. A quick test is to see if your headlights brighten as you rev the bike from idle.

Hope that helps a little, good luck!
Old 24-01-05, 12:31 PM   #5
Aaron

Hi Phil!

Thanks for the words - here is some more info in answer to your questions:

I ride the bike every day to work and back, which takes 30 mins each way. Should this be enough to retain the charge in the battery?

The alarm isnt new - has been on for a year and a half. But is it possible for a fault to develop after a period of time?

And the headlamp and clocks do brighten as I rev the bike, so I'm guessing the charging circuit is working properly.

It's really doing my head in, even contemplating getting rid of the SV because of it, but I dont want it to come to that.......
Old 24-01-05, 01:17 PM   #6
Philbo

30 minute ride would probably be OK.
So youv'e had the bike for 18 months and this problem has only started in the last couple of months?
What model is it?
When the bike doesn't start is it definately the battery? Does it try to turn then slow to a halt? Do your lights dim right down?

Youv'e replaced the battery, and it sounds like you charging circuit is OK.
First verify that the voltage across the battery terminals rises to around 14 volts or so when you rev the bike, (lights on dipped beam). If that's OK, then the charging circuit is ruled out.

Sounds like something, possibly the alarm is draining the battery. You need to get in about the bike with a multimeter. Get an ammeter and check to see what reading you get from the positive terminal of the battery with the bike off, you really shouldn't see more than a couple milli-amps. ( see manufacturers data sheet for details of your alarm). I suspect you have some water damaged components or poorly insulated cable somewhere "leaking" power, and it's simply a proccess of following the circuits with current flowing to find the guilty party. If the alarm circuit is the only one showing a reading with the bike off, you've found your culprit.
Old 24-01-05, 02:34 PM   #7
Aaron

Yeah, Ive had the bike for 2 years, put the alarm on after 6 months and its ben fine since. Its only started in the last couple of months? Its a 2001 SVS.

When I tried to start the bike, it was turning over but wasnt firing. Then it would stop turning over after about 2 or 3 failed attempts and just start clicking when I thumbed the starter. Could it be a problem with the starter motor?

Will get a mulitmeter as soon as i can and have a prod around. Other than that, might just try and leave the bike on trickle charge out my front window every evening. Is really annoying though - was 2 hours late for work today and am really considering selling the bugger!
Old 24-01-05, 03:52 PM   #8
northwind
Mega Poster

I've never had the problem myself, but I think a broken wire somewhere is the right diagnosis... Wear spots are in and around the steering stem, and under and around the rear set IIRC. There is a chance still that it's a reg/rec problem but I think you're right to assume its not.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-05, 03:56 PM   #9
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

When you say it won't start, do you mean it turns over but won't go, or do you mean it won't turn over at all/not very quickly?

If it's not turning over at all, or not quick enough to start then you still have a battery/charging fault, or a current leak when switched off, (e.g. an alarm that draws a lot of current).

If it turns over but won't start, then you need to check ignition, (plugs first), and make sure that the fuel isn't contaminated.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-05, 04:05 PM   #10
Philbo

Your model of bike has had a well known nip point in the wiring loom. Loads of folk have had starting problems due to this issue, although I can't remember the exact symptoms. Worth a look though, could be a quick fix.

Take the rear plastics off and follow the wiring loom from the fuse box right back to the rear light, inspecting the loom as you go. You will find a point where the loom is squezed between two parts of the rear subframe, it's obvious when you find it. It should be just around the pillion seat area, check the loom for damaged cables. With a little bit of luck a wee drop of insulating tape could fix your problem.

Worth trying before you get the meters out.