SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 22-07-07, 09:31 AM   #1
jim@55

Default heading out

anybody (glasgow,ish)fancy a wee(slow)scoot about tdy??im just gtng my gear on ..a bit last minute but tdys plans have been changed so i can escape so any takers (well ,,you know what i mean)
Old 22-07-07, 11:16 PM   #2
SVTONYB

Default Re: heading out

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim@55 View Post
anybody (glasgow,ish)fancy a wee(slow)scoot about tdy??im just gtng my gear on ..a bit last minute but tdys plans have been changed so i can escape so any takers (well ,,you know what i mean)

Wasnt ignoring you mate this is me just reading the post, spent the day power washing the driveway then went to my sisters for a b'day party.
Never got out on the bike this weekend
Old 23-07-07, 09:00 PM   #3
jim@55

ah well tony ,,it was a bit last minute anyway .went down the west coast ,had the gps on it was a crackin day iv seen bits of the coast i didnt know existed ,i was just heading down wee single track roads an that ,.without the gps id have stuck to a safer route as it was i was all over the place ,110 miles not bad and the bike (and more importantly ,me)felt fine ..had a couple of ''clenching'' moments but nothing major ,just trying to get my confidence back after my body surfing on tarmac c ya eh
Old 24-07-07, 11:46 PM   #4
SVTONYB

Glad to hear you're back out on the bike again bud, and glad to hear you're getting you confidence back

What gps system do you have, do you use headphones, where do you put the system
Old 25-07-07, 06:29 PM   #5
jim@55

its a tom-tom one (for a car )im using ,iv not got headphones for it ,i just look at it theres a wee bit on the display that tells u whats coming uo)turn right 500 yds,r/bout 1.3 miles that sort of thing )and iv made a (quite good actually)home made mount ,,used a pedal bike stem for h/bars ,threaded rod ,copper pipe ,and a proper motorbike handlebar mount from tom-tom ,painted it all matt black and jobs a good-un.it sits through the headstock hole ,looks as if its a proper mounting system ,,ill take pics when its fitted properly as its in bits for paint,,,,asa re the headphones for it ,,any idea where to get them ,,iv thought about and wanted to try them,might not like them though i gen turn the voice off as it a pita,,,
Old 26-07-07, 12:13 AM   #6
SVTONYB

Sorry mate I dont have one thats why I was asking what one you had and how you mount it etc, I've been thinking about getting one but the proper bike ones are quite a bit more expensive and I dont know how much I would use it or would it just be a gimmick.

I've read about some folk buying the cheaper one and putting it in a tank bag with clear map window and others who keep it in their pocket and put the ear phones on and just use the voice directions.
Old 26-07-07, 11:20 AM   #7
-Ralph-

Just put mine in the tank bag. Don't need earphones unless you really want to ride along and pay no attention to directions at all. If your happy to look at the sat nav screen every time you pass or approach a junction, no sound is fine. My earphones get uncomfortable and/or fall out under my helmet anyway, think you'd need the ones that go in the ear like ear plugs.

I bought a V7 PMD1400 with detailed Europe maps for £120, the UK one was only £100. I prefer the maps and definatley the voice instructions to Tom Tom one. Don't think you can update the maps (buy a new one every 3-4 years) and there are one or two wee flaws, but for that price....! It certainly does the job for me.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 26-07-07 at 11:28 AM.