SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 20-02-13, 11:53 PM   #1
Jammy

Unhappy Wrist pain...

I know this may be a bit of a familiar topic area as Winder posted a similiar thread a while back, however, none of the solutions in that thread helped me so im open to ideas?

Took my CBT late last summer and started riding a 125 about. Fairly quickly moved onto an SV650 and have regularily attended rideouts through the end of last year and into this year.

Throughout most of this time ive struggled with intense aching pain in my left wrist, sometimes extending up my arm and into my fingers. I rarely feel it when im riding but notice it afterwards. Sometimes it is accompanied by a general numb sensation in the thumb joint area. I have never had issues with my right (throttle) hand. And before the jokes comes rolling in, i am ambidextrous in that area.

At first i tried painkillers and the old advice that 'it will go away soon, your muscles need to build up strength' after several months i gave up on this idea and tryed icepacking 3 times a day, putting it in a removable cast -http://www.physioroom.com/images/products/38938_image.jpg like this and various other methods. To no avail. When i went to the doctor about it the prognosis was 'stop riding motorbikes' which was very helpful (albiet true) Ive also seen an osteopath which helped in the short term but didn't solve the problem.
As far as the bike goes ive tried many different clutch settings which dont seem to make the blindest bit of difference.
The only time that the pain has disappeared was over the Xmas/New years period when i hardly ever rode the bike.

If you ask anyone whos been on a rideout with me they know i sit on the bike very oddly. Maybe Posture is the issue?

Any help? guidance? similar experiences?
Old 21-02-13, 12:01 AM   #2
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Default Re: Wrist pain...

If you have tried all of the medical things being done to you, have you considered adjusting your bike?

Different handlebars, different grips or even a different clutch lever. Make sure that your cable is running smoothly.

I have a shoulder injury that has kept me off my bike since last summer and I am doing physio and am being checked for Carpel Tunnel problems. A chat with a better GP may help you in a similar way, but then my GP rides a Ducatti and understands the need to ride.

If you can try a go on another bike that has a different position too. Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-13, 03:14 AM   #3
Bordtea

Stop being such a gayer
Old 21-02-13, 03:56 AM   #4
BanannaMan

Haven't seen you ride but posture could well have something to do with it.

Avoid leaning on your arms. You don't want too much weight on your wrists.
Also don't you want too tight of a grip on the bars.
You should be able to control the bike with your fingertips and a loose grip.

Proper riding position on the bike is more than just about comfort. It's also a major factor in the handling and control of your bike.
That is defintely something you should work on improving whether it's affecting your wrists or not.

Reguardless of the cause, the answer for nearly all with wrist/hand problems is higher bars.
Invest in a set of higher bars or risers. Could well be the best money you've ever spent.

"The Mountains are calling and I must go"

BanannaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-13, 07:20 AM   #5
Specialone

I've had very similar problems when I owned a SV, things I've known to help...

Make sure your gloves and sleeves of your jacket are loose, if they are tight, they restrict blood flow.

Keep your arms bent, forearms must be parallel to the road or as close as you can (you may get lower back pain)

When braking or cornering, grip the tank hard with your knees.

You've tried the adjusting of the levers etc.

Ultimately, i had to change the bike as mine developed into severe shoulder pain which I still get when I'm tense on the bike.
Old 21-02-13, 08:00 AM   #6
Fallout
Mega Poster

I think you need to sort your posture out first Jammy. After that you can try other things. I can't remember which way you lean/twist when sitting on the bike, but it's probably putting some stress on your left wrist.

I also reckon it's psychological with you. It's possible to massively amplify problems like this psychologically, in the same way stress can make you physically ill. Ya know, I'm a bit nuts but you are actually a proper loon.

1. Get your posture sorted first by making a concious effort to sit up straight.
2. Take all the weight off your wrists.
3. Sort out handle bar ergonomics (lever positions etc)
Fallout Breakbeat (My Music)
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-13, 08:48 AM   #7
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Levers.

Make sure when you sit on your bike to adjust them, your limbs are all lined up. Your wrist shouldnt be bent up or down. Place fingers on levers, , they should rest flat on the lever, palm resting flat on bar, your wrist should be in line with your fingers, and so should your elbow. If the lever is up or down from that everything kinks out of place which causes pain.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12

Last edited by dizzyblonde; 21-02-13 at 08:49 AM.
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-13, 08:53 AM   #8
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

If you have tried all the adjustments and riding style bits you could try a tankbag.It acts as something to lean on stopping you putting too much pressure on the wrists.Worked for me on longer trips.
Old 21-02-13, 09:00 AM   #9
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
If you have tried all the adjustments and riding style bits you could try a tankbag.It acts as something to lean on stopping you putting too much pressure on the wrists.Worked for me on longer trips.
+1

Makes for a good boob rest! I always have a tank bag. Dodgy shoulders feel a lot looser with that there. They Can't cope with the position on long trips even if my wrists are fine.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-13, 09:11 AM   #10
Spank86

I think we need to get gav to go pillion with him and force him to sit straight.