SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-08-16, 05:26 PM   #1
heros

Default CBT

Hey Guys,

Looking at getting a friend a cbt for their birthday. But the only day she can do it on is a Sunday and the training place will only allow her to do it on a moped on a Sunday due to shorter hours. Now if she takes it on a moped is she restricted to automatic bikes? or can she go onto a geared bike at any time? I was hoping she could get a geared bike after doing the cbt on a moped and i would go through the clutch and gears with her to save the cost.

I have been told conflicting information on this so wondered if anyone knew how it worked!
Old 09-08-16, 06:33 PM   #2
tom_e

Default Re: CBT

She can ride twist and go or geared regardless of what she takes the cbt on

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk
tom_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-16, 07:17 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

i would ask the training centre about it. Compulsory Basic Training is to tech people how to ride a motorcycle and be competent if let out alone on the public roads. if your friend is going to get a motorbike and not a twist and go then it would be wise to get the training for this.

i dont see how it takes shorter time to tech someone how to ride a twist and go than a clutch and gear motorcycle. i smell BS.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-16, 10:18 PM   #4
heros

Thats what the instructor said to me on the phone bibio! hence coming here as i wasnt 100% sure on it. Seems to think she wont have enough time to learn the gears :s
Old 10-08-16, 08:26 AM   #5
L3nny
Mega Poster

From my own limited experience I have found there is a huge gap in the standard of training and trainers running CBTs. This particular place sounds like their at the lower end of the scale.

My advice would be to go somewhere else where they actually know what they are talking about.

Let us know your friend's location and you might get some recommendations for a good one.
Old 10-08-16, 09:13 AM   #6
atassiedevil

Where are you based? The local guy i refer everyone to, has more than enough time to teach someone to be up to scratch on a geared bike in a day. He does this regularly, most sundays.

Looks to me like finding another CBT school might be an idea, sounds like he does not want to put the work in to get his students up to scratch, tbh.
C.
Old 10-08-16, 09:33 AM   #7
Dave20046
Mega Poster

It does take a shorter time to teach a moped, however it's bad to restrict them to that. You want them to learn the geared bike with the instruction you're paying for in the safety of the controlled environment. Go to a better training centre (though I guess they may not be open on Sundays!).

There's a couple of really good ones near me, I'm fortunate. I've also experienced a really bad one (also insisting on twist and gos, just give them 2 hours riding in circles round a carpark then chuck them on the road with no experience) you definitely want to avoid them, check reviews etc.
I think your friend might need to compromise on the day if they want it if I'm honest.
As said a CBT will allow them to ride anything, only restricted by power out out (automatic or gears is irrelevant)...but putting someone out of their depth on a public road on a geared bike is a bad idea.

Last edited by Dave20046; 10-08-16 at 09:37 AM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-16, 11:35 AM   #8
NTECUK
Mega Poster

It's a jungle out on the roads .
I'd be looking elsewhere.
My partner found the gear change thing distracting.
They wouldn't pass her on the first day.
I'm happy they stuck with that.
Old 10-08-16, 12:37 PM   #9
shiftin_gear98

I remember my CBT, I'd never been on a bike before. It was almost total overload trying to get everything together. I had driven a car for years. On a bike it's completely different and at the early stages you need someone who

A: Gives a **** about teaching you. B: Has the facilities to do it right.

I'd look elsewhere, the advise you get at the beginning is crucial to go it alone on the roads.
Old 10-08-16, 03:04 PM   #10
daleh43

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftin_gear98 View Post
I remember my CBT, I'd never been on a bike before. It was almost total overload trying to get everything together. I had driven a car for years. On a bike it's completely different and at the early stages you need someone who

A: Gives a **** about teaching you. B: Has the facilities to do it right.

I'd look elsewhere, the advise you get at the beginning is crucial to go it alone on the roads.
Totally agree,

I teach CBT and we take at least 7hrs to go thru the 5 elements. This depends on the student too, Ive seen me still be on the two hour road element at 6.30pm at night from a 9am start

Look around buddy, looks like he's try to rush thru it.

Dale