SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-08-10, 09:08 PM   #1
Nicho..!

Post SV flat battery - causes?

Went to work yesterday, bike was fine, came out of work that night, put the key in and nothing, no lights, ziltch..! Got the mechanic out, started the bike with a booster, it fired up, but with protest, sputtering, miss firing, dying out and back firing, rev counter was also dropping off then on again when revs were high, finally popped loud and died. I have no bike knowledge and any help or ideas would be gratefully recieved.
Thanks in advance, Nicho..!
Old 21-08-10, 09:37 PM   #2
suzukigt380paul

Default Re: SV, died in it sleep..!

hi had a similar problem on my bandit 6,and it was a dead battery,replaced battery and all is well again.
Old 21-08-10, 09:45 PM   #3
aaron020873

i'm no mechanic but if it started with a booster, i would change the battery to start with, batteries can be fine one minute and then dead the next.
Old 21-08-10, 09:53 PM   #4
Razor

take battery out and charge it up, then put it back in and check charge rate
Old 21-08-10, 10:04 PM   #5
suzukigt380paul

9 times out of 10 if the battery is flat it wont take a charge evan if the battery isnt terminally dead,modern batteries dont like being run down,the fastest way to charge it is with the engine running if it will charge at all,and never use a car charger,
Old 22-08-10, 12:25 PM   #6
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicho..! View Post
Went to work yesterday, bike was fine, came out of work that night, put the key in and nothing, no lights, ziltch..! Got the mechanic out, started the bike with a booster, it fired up, but with protest, sputtering, miss firing, dying out and back firing, rev counter was also dropping off then on again when revs were high, finally popped loud and died. I have no bike knowledge and any help or ideas would be gratefully recieved.
Thanks in advance, Nicho..!
Did you leave the parking light on, or do you have an accessory that you could have left powered?
Did the bike start normally before the problem incident? How did it run on the prior trip?
Diagnosis requires information not guesses - there isn't enough info in your first post to make ANY realistic diagnosis.
If the battery was only flat - whatever the cause - during the time that you were at work it won't have been damaged by that, (which is not to say it's not damaged, it could be the problem but leaving it flat for for a few hours won't hurt it).
Car charger will be fine, charging time will need to be adjusted to account for charge rate.
Answer the questions first before spending money on batteries or anything else.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-10, 12:27 PM   #7
Lozzo

Default Re: SV flat battery - causes?

The magic fizz has run out. Batteries are like bottles of pop, if you shake them they go flat.

Avoid bumpy roads.