SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 29-12-06, 07:48 PM   #1
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Default HELP WITH MY PC World's Cheapy Router

I need a router for my laptop and this one from PC world seems the cheapest:
Click here
But it says on the site that its only compatible with Windows 2000 (I've got XP Pro) ...but surely that can't be right

Also, am I able to plug in USB things into the router for them to work on my laptop? It's an external hard-drive that I need to access.
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-06, 07:55 PM   #2
weazelz

it'll work fine with XP. more details here

you won't be able to plug usb things into the router, only ethernet. plug your usb things into your laptop
Old 29-12-06, 07:58 PM   #3
mysteryjimbo

I dont know of any routers that'll take USB storage devices.

There are storage servers around such as Snap Appliances. These are essentially a harddisk with a network connection
Old 29-12-06, 08:03 PM   #4
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Thanks for that weazelz. Another question though
It would be good if I could also have my old desktop PC connected too. Would I be able to just put the router next to it and plug it in with a wire, then have the laptop wireless
And if I did that, would I then be able to access the files on the PC from the laptop? And kind of use it as a back-up instead of the external hard-drive
Old 29-12-06, 08:03 PM   #5
chazzyb

Check out Misco too. I bought one for my daughter in November. Approx £41 delivered.

http://www.misco.co.uk/productinform...~WW~/index.htm

£34.99 + P&P
Old 29-12-06, 08:09 PM   #6
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S
It would be good if I could also have my old desktop PC connected too. Would I be able to just put the router next to it and plug it in with a wire, then have the laptop wireless
And if I did that, would I then be able to access the files on the PC from the laptop? And kind of use it as a back-up instead of the external hard-drive
Viney is doing this now have a look here.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-06, 08:29 PM   #7
weazelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S
the router has some wired ethernet ports, so long as you have an ethernet (network) card in the desktop PC then you can do what you describe pretty easily
Old 29-12-06, 08:56 PM   #8
kwak zzr

i dont know much about this subject but whats the security issues with a wireless laptop connection? my aunt had £2800 removed from her bank last month by a guy in london who had hacked her details this concerns me as my dad is on about doing the wireless thing with his new laptop
Old 29-12-06, 09:03 PM   #9
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by weazelz
the router has some wired ethernet ports, so long as you have an ethernet (network) card in the desktop PC then you can do what you describe pretty easily
It doesn't seem to have an ethernet card, just a dial-up internet port. Is there any other way around this, like using a USB port or something
Old 29-12-06, 09:06 PM   #10
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak zzr
iwhats the security issues with a wireless laptop connection?
The security issues are that most people don't bother to encrypt their wireless connection with a WEP key and restrict what MAC address' can connect to it so they leave it wide open for anybody to use / hack into.

It takes 5 minutes to do and I'm amazed by the number of people who don't bother to do it.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote