SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-04-15, 07:00 PM   #11
Ruffy

Default Re: Lifepaint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carelesschucca View Post
So would you spray your bike with this stuff?

LIFEPAINT
No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orose View Post
It's interesting that the cycling lobby have come out against it - they seem to be moving in a similar direction to us, which is to call companies out for trying to shift the blame onto the victims.
Pretty much for this reason - If other road users can't see me when I'm definitely there then they need to take action to improve their observation, not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClunkintheUK View Post
The only advantage I can see is after the crash. When the driver is saying "sorry mate I didn't see you". It will highlight the fact that they didn't see you because the didn't look even vaguely in your direction.
Sadly, this is essentially the reason I chose a conventional high visibility yellow winter cycling jacket when my old red one needed replacement. Based on the behaviours I see, I do not believe in the slightest that it will actually prevent a collision.

Quote:
There has been a similar thing with High Viz. In isolation, or on an industrial site it works very well, on the roads its not that helpful. There are so many people with high viz (not to mention a lot of shops/vans etc using hgh viz paint) that is has become very difficult to differentiate someone being in the way from background noise.
Whilst I don't believe Hi-Viz is complete snake oil, it's definitely not an infallible "one size fits all" solution. My statement to validate this opinion is that if yellow hi-viz is the right answer, why do the railways specify orange, and vice versa? There is a reason PPE (including hi-viz) is the last resort in risk mitigation under the relevant H&S legislation. Shame lots don't treat it that way.
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-15, 06:06 PM   #12
orose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy View Post
Pretty much for this reason - If other road users can't see me when I'm definitely there then they need to take action to improve their observation, not me.
The most amusing one I've heard about was a friend of mine who drives various large vehicles, who had someone drive into him when in the ultimate hi-vis vehicle - a bright yellow JCB with a flashing light on top for good measure. If you don't see something like that, the rest of us have no hope...
Old 09-04-15, 08:29 AM   #13
L3nny
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_d View Post
Unfortunately, it only lasts for a week or so before it washes off. I'd go for strategically placed strips of this stuff:

http://www.crew-safe.co.uk/acatalog/...tive-Tape.html

It's made for marine applications so it should be pretty durable.
Sorry for derail but do you know if a strip of that stuff on the bottom of a number plate would get through the MOT?
Old 10-04-15, 09:42 PM   #14
keith_d
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3nny View Post
Sorry for derail but do you know if a strip of that stuff on the bottom of a number plate would get through the MOT?

I'm not sure what's behind your question, so here's my thoughts on the subject.

IIRC the rear reflector must be red and meet the appropriate standard (used to be a BS AU40). So a strip of reflective tape would not qualify. More generally you're not allowed to obscure the number plate so sticking a strip along the bottom might fall foul of that too.

If you were planning to make your bike more visible, you could always mount an oversized sheet of polycarbonate behind the number plate and stick reflective tape around it that way. But if that prevented speed cameras from capturing a clear image of your plate Mr Plod might have something to say about it. So be sure to stick some in other places too
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-15, 03:54 PM   #15
ClunkintheUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy View Post
Whilst I don't believe Hi-Viz is complete snake oil, it's definitely not an infallible "one size fits all" solution. My statement to validate this opinion is that if yellow hi-viz is the right answer, why do the railways specify orange, and vice versa? There is a reason PPE (including hi-viz) is the last resort in risk mitigation under the relevant H&S legislation. Shame lots don't treat it that way.
I did not know that Hi-Viz was a last resort in H&S.

I don't think it is snake oil at all, I just think in the realm of cycle safety it is misapplied. As you say, the railways specify orange as it stands out a lot more in that environment, as there is not much orange used for other things (signs etc). It isn't very useful on the roads as a lot of shop signs are orange, not to mention indicators and used for car/van/lorry colours. I have seen research that says the most visible colour on the roads is pink, but I have also heard of people getting more abuse and aggression wearing pink hi-viz, to the point of throwing out perfectly good pink jackets.
Old 13-04-15, 07:35 PM   #16
Ruffy

Quote:
I did not know that Hi-Viz was a last resort in H&S.
Yep, but don't take my word for it. For one example in law, refer to Section 12 of the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998, especially the specific exclusion in S12(2)(a). Slightly less legalese but explicitly clear IMHO is this guidance sheet from HSE.

Quote:
I don't think it is snake oil at all, I just think in the realm of cycle safety it is misapplied. As you say, the railways specify orange as it stands out a lot more in that environment, as there is not much orange used for other things (signs etc). It isn't very useful on the roads as a lot of shop signs are orange, not to mention indicators and used for car/van/lorry colours. I have seen research that says the most visible colour on the roads is pink, but I have also heard of people getting more abuse and aggression wearing pink hi-viz, to the point of throwing out perfectly good pink jackets.
Sounds reasonable and unsurprising to me. I agree with the misapplied sentiment.
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote