SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-02-18, 10:23 PM   #11
egcSV650s

Default Re: Garage Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
You will need a 17mm masonry drill or a bit of a waggle with a 16mm one. I actually left about 5mm of tube above floor to stop water and dirt getting in the tube. Good thing about Enfield locks is that you can only insert and withdraw the key when bolt is either fully extended or fully retracted.

The garage alarm beeper a couple of times during the night a month or so ago, I put peanut butter down and it disappeared, then I put down a trap and some mice disappeared as well.
Ah right great, good idea about the gap so no water gets in. Is the alarm easy to set up

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
I don't have an up-and-over but I saw a video about these,"Garage Defenders" which might be of interest,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1vS4l0VkCI

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...ender&_sacat=0
Thank you, starting to change my mind on those defenders, might be a good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by punyXpress View Post
If your garage is shown on StreetView, just check the current version doesn't show your bike !
Haha yeah luckily you cant see my garage on street view
egcSV650s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-18, 09:46 AM   #12
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
I don't have an up-and-over but I saw a video about these,"Garage Defenders" which might be of interest,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1vS4l0VkCI

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...ender&_sacat=0

Problem with fitting a defender to our up-and-over door was that at least half the holding bolts would have been in tarmac drive and the rest very close to edge of concrete slab, not really a secure fixing. I would have had to install a concrete section especially for the holding down bolts in front of the door as the concrete slab for the garage only extends about 25mm past front of door when closed. When a bolt is near the edge of concrete it would only need a tap with a 4 pound lump hammer to shatter concrete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egcSV650s View Post
Ah right great, good idea about the gap so no water gets in. Is the alarm easy to set up
The alarm is very easy to set up, you just need to pair the PIR transmitters with the receiver do it when they are next to each other in same room takes about 5 minutes tops - you can use receiver with batteries but better to buy the power supply option with the alarm shown (I bought a 'ding-dong' type driveway alarm very similar to the proper alarm on shown in my link but same maker to start with but the one shown in link which I bought after has either ding-dong or proper siren with flashing blue light (switch selected) which will sound until you switch it off). By using power supply you can plug it into normal 13amp timer switch and when power is on receiver (overnight maybe) alarm will sound, but when power is off it won't. By removing power from receiver it does not upset the pairing between transmitters and receiver. I plugged a short 13A extension lead with a 'power on' neon into my timer switch and then plugged power supply into it then i can see straight away when there is power on the alarm receiver.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 18-02-18 at 10:06 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-18, 10:24 AM   #13
egcSV650s

Great sounds pretty easy then, ill get one of those ordered. Thanks for your help
Old 18-02-18, 10:40 AM   #14
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Great sounds pretty easy then, ill get one of those ordered. Thanks for your help
The PIR transmitters use 3 X AAA alkaline batteries each - you can check batteries are OK by a 'walk test' using the flashing blue LED on front of PIR. I covered the PIR case with black PVC insulation tape to disguise it a bit and left a flap of tape over the blue LED to stop it alerting someone that the PIR was there. You can buy more PIR of same type (1 by One) to pair with existing receiver or the PIR themselves can each be paired with up to 5 receivers - if that makes sense. You could even put a PIR or two outside garage to alert you if someone on the drive (which is what the device was originally designed for as a 'driveway doorbell).

I bought rechargeable 750mAh Panasonic Infinium batteries for PIR, they have low self discharge (are supplied charged) and are ideal for low drain applications like the PIR.. Normal alkaline batteries should last a long time though.

Brick walls reduce the range of transmitter - our garage is attached to house and alarm is in upstairs bedroom and that works OK.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 18-02-18 at 10:43 AM.
Old 18-02-18, 11:35 AM   #15
pookie

My neighbour used a couple of pacri bolts on their door

https://www.locksonline.co.uk/search...ry=pacri+bolts
Now - 2010 Triton blue sv650s -Back to the future
pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-18, 11:44 AM   #16
egcSV650s

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
The PIR transmitters use 3 X AAA alkaline batteries each - you can check batteries are OK by a 'walk test' using the flashing blue LED on front of PIR. I covered the PIR case with black PVC insulation tape to disguise it a bit and left a flap of tape over the blue LED to stop it alerting someone that the PIR was there. You can buy more PIR of same type (1 by One) to pair with existing receiver or the PIR themselves can each be paired with up to 5 receivers - if that makes sense. You could even put a PIR or two outside garage to alert you if someone on the drive (which is what the device was originally designed for as a 'driveway doorbell).

I bought rechargeable 750mAh Panasonic Infinium batteries for PIR, they have low self discharge (are supplied charged) and are ideal for low drain applications like the PIR.. Normal alkaline batteries should last a long time though.

Brick walls reduce the range of transmitter - our garage is attached to house and alarm is in upstairs bedroom and that works OK.
Ah right thats quite a good idea to cover them a bit. My garage is seperate to the house and is brick walls so ill give it a try but should be ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookie View Post
My neighbour used a couple of pacri bolts on their door

https://www.locksonline.co.uk/search...ry=pacri+bolts
Yeah think i might get them locks aswell, was looking at them but was unsure if i had enough room to fit them
Old 18-02-18, 12:00 PM   #17
Heorot

Quote:
Originally Posted by punyXpress View Post
If your garage is shown on StreetView, just check the current version doesn't show your bike !
Good thinking there. I checked mine but the view is from 2008, before I got the bike.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-18, 05:07 PM   #18
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:

Yeah think i might get them locks aswell, was looking at them but was unsure if i had enough room to fit them
If you want them I have a set of Pacri locks you can have. Used one of them on my old garage door (which was pants) after we moved to this house and took it off again when the door was replaced a few years later. Ping me a PM if you're interested. The set is just gathering dust at the moment as my new door has multi-locking points so I don't need them.

Last edited by Sir Trev; 18-02-18 at 05:08 PM.
Sir Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-18, 11:54 PM   #19
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Sent you a PM with some more options
Old 19-02-18, 09:36 AM   #20
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Sent you a PM with some more options
Secret stuff eh, Russians not involved are they ?