SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Racing and Paddock Chat The latest news, talk, and gossip from the world of bike racing, you can also discuss track days here too.

Old 07-04-17, 10:09 AM   #1
svbmx

Default First Trackday :) Half a Success!!!

So... Rode my first trackday on monday (also my birthday) and had a blast!

The day started off VERY foggy but cleared up just in time for the first session. The sun was out for the rest of the day so couldn't have asked for much more.

My dad had built me a track bike to use for the day and thereafter, a 91 gsxr 750. The choice being so i can join him for any classic track days he does in the future. I wasn't completely sold on it to begin with but after a few sessions getting used to it i loved it

All was going well until the last session before lunch... i binned it! A lowside at hamilton ended my day On the out lap too. My initial thought was cold tyres but i know i wasn't going too quick as I was waiting for a straight to pass a slower rider. Seemed very "out of the blue" in the moment but later on when my dad went to load the bike into the van he noticed that the rear tyre was completely flat! And when we first unloaded the bike when we arrived at circuit the tyre only had 10 psi and considering the tyre had only been fitted 2 days prior to this it seemed odd. My dad suspects the tyre may have dropped enough in a few hours of riding to finally effect grip. He tells me a low pressured rear can cause the front to go, as it did.

If anyone has any other theories then please let me know. But next time i'll be checking pressure before each session and the bike will have a set of race tyres next time too

Anyway... a few photos...

This is my track bike (previous to have an extra reinforced subframe, lower fairing and full akrapovic exhaust). Its all abit thrown together but once ive got a couple more trackdays under my belt its gonna get a nice paint job.

one of the subframe detail, rather pleased with how it looks

bikes loaded the night before. my sv included incase the gixxer doesnt like its first outing!

and me on the bike waiting to get on track for the first time

and now a few shots of the lowside aftermath (dented tank, split fairing, hole in engine casing, snapped lever)!! I had also, for the first time, decided to mount my gopro for the session as i felt i was getting on well with good pace... yep, i mounted it on the side i fell off! Initially lost it on the corner but had it returned by a friendly marshal during the break for lunch. And guess what, i forgot to turn the bloody thing on!!! DOH! Somehow the camera survived having the weight of the bike drag it across the track

Despite the mishap i had an awesome day and am looking to book the next trackday this weekend

Here's a few photos of farth on his GS1000 (awesome bike) and myself captured on the day.

Me

Apologies if i've posted this in the wrong place. Can admin please move this if necessary. Thanks

Last edited by svbmx; 07-04-17 at 10:15 AM.
svbmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-17, 07:18 PM   #2
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Default Re: First Trackday :) Half a Success!!!

Glad you're OK and had a blast. Now, can we have a few more pics of the Katana?
Old 10-04-17, 06:57 AM   #3
Redmist

Looks like a great day, apart from the spill, but least you've got one out the way

Want a Gyrocam for your track / road / racing videos? Gyrocam here!

Bikes: Minitwin SV650 '04. Click me!
SV650 (Now Nekked!) '04. Pictures here!
Redmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-17, 02:58 PM   #4
L3nny
Mega Poster

If you had the SV with you, why didn't you use that for the afternoon?
Old 12-04-17, 09:33 AM   #5
svbmx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
Glad you're OK and had a blast. Now, can we have a few more pics of the Katana?
I wish i had taken more pics of that Katana, was a thing of beauty. My old man seems to have a different one in the workshop every week, but that one was especially lovely. I believe the wheels were a magnesium set, £2500+ worth! And the rest of the bike, suspension etc was of a similar spec! No expense spared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmist View Post
Looks like a great day, apart from the spill, but least you've got one out the way
I regularly ride (and fall off!) bmx, downhill mountain bike and skateboard, so coming off the gixxer was a breeze in comparison. Actually quite enjoyable if that'e even possible! I guess thats the difference between wearing shorts/t-shirt on bmx/mtb and full leathers etc on motorbike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3nny View Post
If you had the SV with you, why didn't you use that for the afternoon?
Tbh, after seeing the gixxer in its broken state it soon put me off the idea of taking the sv round the track :S
Old 12-04-17, 12:46 PM   #6
L3nny
Mega Poster

If you think lowsiding is fun, wait till your first highside, they are a blast!
Old 29-04-17, 10:42 AM   #7
speedyandypandy

Check tyre pressure before you go out, and everytime you come in, it's safer, and you should be letting air out if the day starts cold and gets hotter during the day anyway.

Well done, good luck in the future