SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-03-06, 05:44 PM   #1
ktm155

Default Starter clutch repair info

Curious if anyone has ever had to replace the one-way starter clutch on k3 or higher sv650. Mine starts most times, other times the starter just whirls. Is this a big job or something a fair wrencher can do himself.

New to the forum, but will appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Jim
Old 19-03-06, 07:24 PM   #2
admin
John T
Mega Poster

In theory it's straightforward as mine needed replacing last year. I got the shop to do it though.

Drain oil
Remove engine cover
remove central bolt in centre of crank.
insert a large bolt (can't recall the size) or the offical puller and tighten. This will pull off the alternator magnet and starter clutch in one go.
The starter clutch is bolted to the back of the alternator magnet.

Possible snags

You have to hold the magnet/clutch tight whilst tightening the puller. Suzuki have another special tool for this, but an alternative is to put the bike in gear and then get a friend to stand on the rear brake.

Don't forget to retain the woodruff key. It ensure the clutch/magnet goes back in the correct postion on the crank.

John
Old 20-03-06, 09:10 PM   #3
ktm155

Thanks John for the feedback. Like you said, simple repair "if" you have the special tools these jobs always seem to require. At any rate, you have told me what I needed to hear. Thanks again.

Jim