SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-12-09, 11:28 AM   #1
neilhatch

Default Dropped my bike.

So today I found out I can lift my bike on my own. Which is a possitive. The negative is that the mirror and clutch lever are bust.

Booooo to numb feet, I'm sure I kicked out the stand.

So after smashing my car up last week and dropping my bike today I can't wait for the third.

I'll have to replace the mirror, MOT in a few weeks time but will the clutch lever be okay as its only the end inch that snapped? Edge is a little sharp but can be sorted.
Old 01-12-09, 11:34 AM   #2
lee67

Default Re: Dropped my bike....

no lever will fail, it has to have the ball on end m8
Old 01-12-09, 11:42 AM   #3
jambo
Mega Poster

Sorry mate!

wemoto.com have cheap pattern clutch and brake levers I've happily used before and unlike some of the ebay specials they don't come in chav purple / carbon "effect".

Mirrors I've been more fussy about since I tried some cheap mirrors for my Bandit 600 N years ago and everything became invisible at speed.

Jambo
Old 01-12-09, 11:57 AM   #4
neilhatch

Little surprised about the clutch lever, oh well. December is theeeee most expensive month.

Becasue one of my mirrors is so scabby I was looking to change them for something different but is hard to find anything away from the normal style.

Fle-bay may have to be the job till I got the cash.

Neil
Old 01-12-09, 12:14 PM   #5
Taipan

Sorry to hear about yoru bad news. Be wary of cheap replacement mirrors though. They are often real poor quality and you cant see half as well in them as you can OEM ones. Best to find some OEM ones from another bike that you like.
Taipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-09, 12:28 PM   #6
neilhatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
Sorry to hear about yoru bad news. Be wary of cheap replacement mirrors though. They are often real poor quality and you cant see half as well in them as you can OEM ones. Best to find some OEM ones from another bike that you like.

Do you mean all (most) mirrors will fit regardless of make? Are the bolt holes the same gap then. I've never replaced a mirror so I'm not sure what the fixing method is.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers,
Neil
Old 01-12-09, 01:37 PM   #7
madcockney

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilhatch View Post
Little surprised about the clutch lever, oh well. December is theeeee most expensive month.
Neil
The rules were changed years ago that you must have ball ends on brake and clutch levers. Having had an injury when I was a teenager from one when a car turned into me, and a mate of my bothers mate losing his life from an injury sustained via non ball ended clutch or brake lever I am pleased that it is mandatory.
madcockney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-09, 02:18 PM   #8
Taipan

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilhatch View Post
Do you mean all (most) mirrors will fit regardless of make? Are the bolt holes the same gap then. I've never replaced a mirror so I'm not sure what the fixing method is.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers,
Neil
Sadly no, not all the same. Been years since I swapped mirrors around on bikes but if i recall correctly some are 10mm and some are 8mm but all are reverse threads. Some mopeds have 6mm threads too.

Things may have changed since I last looked and they may be mroe standardised now? Best bet is to go to a bike brakers and try some. It'd certainly be worth checking out before going ahead and buying some from ebay.
Taipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-09, 07:49 PM   #9
lee67

no dave ur right...there either 10mm or 8mm....but beware (yams are diff again..reverse thread) ...u need 10mm mirrors m8
Old 02-12-09, 09:18 AM   #10
neilhatch

Default Re: Dropped my bike.

Hmmmmm.....

Think I'll paly safe and get some OEM mirrors, I don't have the sapre dosh to be playing trial and error.

Also, not going to ride it till its sorted....don't like riding with a mirror missing. Far from a nervous rider but last night on the way home in the dark was a very strange.