SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-10-14, 11:54 PM   #1
Borile

Default Removing stuck brake pad pin?

If this is in the wrong section then feel free to move it to the right one.

I tried to change the front brake pads on my sv today, only to find that 'fowlups' have left a few surprises for me to occasionally find.

Like the retaining pins on the front calipers being bent from where they replaced them.

Anyone got any ideas as to how your meant to get them off, as I think it is back to basics with this one.
Old 12-10-14, 08:37 AM   #2
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Default Re: replacing brake pads.

Pull the R'Clips soak them with wd or similar. Work then with mole grips roate/rock them them back and forth.
I had to drill out(smaller than the retainer pin)the blind hole and use a drift on the same sort of caliper before
Old 12-10-14, 09:16 AM   #3
maviczap
Mega Poster

I had one on a 2nd hand caliper that was so bent I had to cut it, but that was off the bike.

As NTE says try that first.

Get some stainless replacements from Wemoto or Ebay, less trouble in the future
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-14, 12:58 PM   #4
Borile

I'll give that another go later.

Also looks like they haven't set the front forks correctly, this is going to be fun...
Old 12-10-14, 01:53 PM   #5
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Unfortunately big dealers such as Fowlers only do PDI's, expensive oil changes, and fit slip-on cans; and most of that is hit and miss. If you want a proper motorcycle mechanics I recommend either doing it yourself or going independent. Carter Bikes is close to you and comes with the Squirrel Hunter seal of approval.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-14, 03:23 PM   #6
Dunn-y

Default Re: Removing stuck brake pad pin?

I had one of the pins in my old calipers seized in place. Tried everything, in the end I just had to cut it out.
Old 14-10-14, 08:23 PM   #7
stuR

I had to drill a hole through the caliper on the work bench when i had a similar thing. The using the hole the pin was tapped out, mole grips etc couldnt get a go on it. After that it was tapered at the end and copper slip used..
Old 15-10-14, 01:13 PM   #8
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

If the fault was with Fowlers, have you tried talking to them?

They tend to be quite helpful. There is nothing to lose in making an enquiry especially if you have the paper work for who signed off the PDI. They have always been quite reasonable when I have dealt with them.

If however it looks to them like you have knackered it through cheap tools or bad workmanship they may refuse to help. Again, I am lucky, my other half is a qualified bike mechanic with a lot of experience and sorts these problems before I completely ruin them or have a melt down.

I will add though that recently I discovered evidence of poor workmanship performed by a dealer in the South West of Devon, who had punched holes through my fork seals with a screw driver when they replaced them before I bought the bike. Although it was a while before they failed, it was still a bad repair and I was able to replace them easily by doing the job slowly and with a bit more care than they had showed. Not every shop is as good as some of the mechanics on here sadly.

Good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote