SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 23-03-12, 07:29 PM   #1
Bri w

Default When to start advanced training?

On the back of the current feelings that are very much to the fore at present I'd like to pose the above question.

When to start advanced training?

Is there an obvious time to start it, or is it does it really vary from rider to rider? Should it be an almost continous thing from the moment you throw your leg over till you've attained your Gold badge and beyond? Is it wise to pass your test then go straight onto an IAM or RoSPA, or should you bed in the skills you've gained in passing your test? But if you do that are you in a limbo when you are more vulnerable?

Bad habits; an aside to the above and something for us all to consider(?). My worst habit is being a car driver on the bike. I do 30,000+ miles a year in the car, so reading the road isn't difiicult... but is that true for when I'm on the bike? Braking in traffic... could do better. Positioning on the road... could do better. And so on...

So just what stops so many of us finding the time for further training? Laziness? Arrogance? Cost? Fear of embarrassment?

What would you pay so your wife/husband/parents/children didn't have to visit you in hospital/cemetery?

Everyone should make their own choices in life but those choices should be tempered by our responsibilities to our loved ones.

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-12, 07:40 PM   #2
dyzio
Mega Poster

Default Re: When to start advanced training?

Done my first bikesafe after 1.5 year on the bike.
I thought I knew a lot (everything), but the training proved to be very informative and I was surprised how much I've learned.

Now in my 6th year of riding, again I feel like I know a lot (not everything though) and I'm attending another BS training in a few days.

The traffic coppers are amazing riders and instructors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri w View Post
What would you pay so your wife/husband/parents/children didn't have to visit you in hospital/cemetery?
Sorry but that just sounds like a very distasteful sales line :/

Last edited by dyzio; 23-03-12 at 07:42 PM.
dyzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-12, 08:12 PM   #3
Bluefish

I'd say about a year after passing the test would be appropriate, if one wanted further training, once you had had a bit of time on the road.
Old 23-03-12, 08:12 PM   #4
Icanopit

Simples. NO time like the present!!!!
Old 23-03-12, 08:21 PM   #5
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icanopit View Post
Simples. NO time like the present!!!!
This

Did mine after about 18 months on the bike

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-12, 08:23 PM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

i would say i'm a safe/alert/competent rider and have been told numerous times by fellow riders. the only bad habit i have is self control, every time i see or know a nice set of bends are ahead of me i'm like a ferret up a drain pipe as i love cornering. am i arrogant saying that i'm a good rider? yes and until people turn round and stop saying so then i will continue doing what i do. i am by no means perfect but none of us are as we all have out own quirks and bad habits.

will it be the death of me if i do not take advanced riding lessons, possibly but i personally don't care. if i die on the bike i will die happy enjoying what i love. i have no fear of dying as it comes to us all at some point so i enjoy life NOW. yes it would affect my family severely if i died as it would mean the complete collapse of my household.

am i selfish! well if you know me then you would say NO WAY. i would say YES to a degree as i should theoretically give up biking for my family's sake.

every rider is different and has a different range of skills. knowing your limits is one of the biggest skills you will ever learn. no matter how much training you have, if you can't put that training into practise then what's the point in spending more money in something you can't learn. by all means if anyone feels the need to take advanced riding lessons then DO SO as if you have decided or are even thinking of them then you must know that you need them.

Last edited by Bibio; 23-03-12 at 08:24 PM.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-12, 08:24 PM   #7
kellyjo

My OH asked me today what I wanted for my bday next month, think I might be asking for IAM. I had a couple of 'iffy' moments last year and both were 100% my fault. Ive ridden for 3 years and clocked up about 17000 miles and have picked up many bad habits im sure. Seems like the right time.

Last edited by kellyjo; 23-03-12 at 08:26 PM.
Old 23-03-12, 08:37 PM   #8
Red Herring
Mega Poster

I went to my first IAM meeting whilst still on my 125 with L plates. It's never to early. That was over 25 years ago and I'm still learning. It doesn't matter if you go the IAM route, Rospa, Bikesafe or with a professional outfit like Rapid Training, the language, principals and application are all the same. Just pick which suits you best and enjoy it.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-12, 08:44 PM   #9
maxinc

What I loved about the IAM is that they give a good baseline to build upon. Passing the IAM test doesn't mean much as it is not the end of the learning process by far. If anything, it only opened my eyes as to how much there is to learn and encouraged me to seek further training.

I think the system they teach requires the rider to be comfortable and in complete control of the bike which I think takes a few months of getting used to after passing the DSA test. I think somewhere on the IAM website said's something like at least 6 months after passing the test.

For new riders, is especially good since they don't have "bad" habits to change. But as it has been said, no better time than now.
Old 23-03-12, 08:50 PM   #10
Red Herring
Mega Poster

You need to bear in mind there are some politics around the IAM six month rule. You don't have to have been riding 6 months to join a group and start your training, you just can't take you test straight away.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote