SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-08-14, 07:10 PM   #1
stevee10001

Default Big bike test insurance problem...

Hi guys this is the only bike forum im signed up with so i thought i might as well see if i could get some hold on a really annoying issue im having.

The thing is i am planning on booking my Big bike module 1 soon and actually doing it on my sv650! The only problem is i cannot for love nor money find an insurer to even give me a quote. I have heard of people doing it outside of schools but god knows how they managed to find insurance.

The reason im doing it outside of a school is that i have a family member who was an instructor up until recently and he advised me to just spend time with him going through the ins and outs and then just booking my tests and completing them on my sv. Also the extortionate prices these guys are charging may also be a key reason

So my question is has anyone taken the BIG BIKE test's independently and if so how did you get insured and how did you get on?

Thanks
Steve
Old 11-08-14, 07:23 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Big bike test insurance problem...

are you entitled to ride a full power machine? i seem to remember that you also need to be taken to the test centre with a qualified instructor if your on a full power bike or you will be breaking the law.

just pay the cash and do the test. mind you all the rules have changed.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-14, 07:24 PM   #3
stevee10001

No but I have a trailer that I can get the bike on and I'm 24 so I am eligible for the big bike test
Old 11-08-14, 07:27 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

what licence do you hold at the moment?
Old 11-08-14, 07:31 PM   #5
stevee10001

It's classed as a provisional on insurance forms due to passing my cbt (and theory) But I passed my car test when I was 17.
Old 11-08-14, 07:33 PM   #6
Foot

Have you ridden bikes before?
I know the SV is forgiving but getting straight onto it, in my opinion, would be too much
Old 11-08-14, 07:35 PM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

so you have a CBT. are you over the age limit to go straight for direct access?

in all honesty just go to your local training place and speak to them then give them the money. tell them you have had the training and just need the last part of 'going for my test' and see what they say, you never know they might just give you a discount.
Old 11-08-14, 07:39 PM   #8
Phoenix22

We had the same problem when my partner did the test. Couldn't get insurance for it anywhere so had to keep forking out to hire the instructors bike for the test. Worked out really expensive in the end as she kept knocking the cones over!!! Nobody I could find would give cover on a bike you weren't qualified to ride.
Old 11-08-14, 07:54 PM   #9
stevee10001

It's classed as a provisional on insurance forms due to passing my cbt (and theory) But I passed my car test when I was 17.
Old 11-08-14, 07:57 PM   #10
stevee10001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix22 View Post
We had the same problem when my partner did the test. Couldn't get insurance for it anywhere so had to keep forking out to hire the instructors bike for the test. Worked out really expensive in the end as she kept knocking the cones over!!! Nobody I could find would give cover on a bike you weren't qualified to ride.

Well Atleast it's not just me missing something obvious I am starting to resign myself to the fact I will have to use instructors. The nearest one offers 2 hours for £60 so I'll take that and see where I lie afterwards!