SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-05-09, 08:01 PM   #1
richiekuk

Default non starter

I posted about this a few days ago, but thought I'd start a new thread to gain some more interest and hopefully some more advice.

The saga so far:

Washed my bike on sunday, it wouldn't start after (checked the kill switch etc).

I knackered the starter motor electrical connection as it was rusted solid, whilst trying to remove.

New starter fitted today and new solenoid (just in case). Bike still refuses to start. there's power to the lights etc, but no start. I know the starter is good as I tried it direct from the battery.

Have looked at the connection under the clutch lever, gave it a clean with electrical contact solvent, and put it back on. Still no start.

Am getting a bit perplexed, as I don't really know alot about bikes. But surely its had since sunday aft to dry out.

Any help greatly appreciated again, If anyone in the Lincoln area fancies having a look, please feel free.

Many Thanks

Richie K

Richie K
Old 19-05-09, 08:33 PM   #2
lee67

Default Re: non starter

u checked the starter relay and sidestand switch???
Old 19-05-09, 08:50 PM   #3
richiekuk

starter relay? is this not the starter solenoid? under the right of riders seat. If so I slaved in another one, and still the same.

Sidestand switch? the bike is in neutral so surely this shouldn't matter.

Richie K
Old 19-05-09, 09:04 PM   #4
lee67

spray the starter relay with wd40 and do the same with the sidestand switch and yes it can cause issues even in neutral...does the relay click when u press the starter?
Old 19-05-09, 09:14 PM   #5
richiekuk

The relay doesn't click when I press the starter.
I take it the sidestand switch is at the top of the sidestand?
I will give it a good dowsing with wd40 tommorow, and hopdefully have a working bike.

Thanks for the advice. No oubt I'll be back here tommorow night with a still broken bike though, just my luck.

Cheers

Richie K
Old 19-05-09, 09:40 PM   #6
lee67

the relay should click m8..thats the problem, disconnect and douse in wd40..refit and try then
Old 19-05-09, 09:45 PM   #7
lee67

u could also connect the two terminals on the relay and bypass this relay..if its starts its defo the relay m8
Old 20-05-09, 06:54 AM   #8
branny

^but he has tried 2 different solenoids.

have you done any investigation into the starter button? If that is not making a connection.... no start!

Is there absolutely no action when you press the button?
Old 20-05-09, 09:24 AM   #9
lee67

has been known to buy duff relay's m8...as i say it should click when turning ign on..
Old 20-05-09, 10:14 AM   #10
jambo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee67 View Post
has been known to buy duff relay's m8...as i say it should click when turning ign on..
Yes, but this pre-supposes that the starter button is actually closing the contacts for the relay to engage. The easiest thing of course is to test the relay and other parts in another bike, but you may not have one available.

If pressing the button doesn't make a click at the relay or dim the lights, It's possible the problem is the starter switch or a connection. For a simple test disconnect the right hand instrument pod's block connector, and use a multimeter to check connectivity across the 2 wires when the button is pressed.

I'm nowhere near a wiring diagram so can't help you on wire colours.

Jambo